News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

HV Buzzer wiring.....

Started by Babybearjs, September 23, 2020, 05:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

:D Today I decided to put a HV buzzer in the porch phone for the second line. does anyone know the proper wiring for it? when connected the buzzer faintly rattles when called. does it use a diode, or another capacitor to get it to properly signal... right now I have it wired directly on the T-R terminals on the line. I added another 0.47uf Capacitor, but its not connected right now.
John

rdelius

The hv buzzers we got from Phoneco had either a neon bulb or some kind of thermistor? in series. They did not buzz well . putting a capasator in place of the device made them buzz better but were more of a load .It might have been 1 to 2 mfd.

Babybearjs

yeh, I don't know how they really worked... I used to have some and they all failed, when I did the phone salvage this past spring, The sets all had the buzzers in them... I got one to work, but like you, I'm having poor results.... wonder what was used to get them to really work? would a diode help?
John

dsk

The Ericofon buzzer works great with e.g. a 1 microfarad capacitor in series.
dsk

Source: https://www.ericofon.com/colors/ringers.htm

Babybearjs

thank you.... I dissected one of the buzzers and discovered that they do contain a capacitor. the value is unmarked, so I am going to splice longer wires on to the buzzer and use a 0.47 capacitor to see if that helps. I thought the buzzer was defective, but once I removed the cap, the coil showed continuity. so, I'm understanding that these units all seem to have faulty capacitors on them, or the caps blow with age and use.
John