News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Booth ID

Started by mentalstampede, September 10, 2015, 11:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mentalstampede

So, an acquaintance stopped into my shop earlier this week and saw my brother's AE 3-slot payphone that we have displayed for a conversation piece. We got to discussing it, and as it turns out a family member of his purchased a commercial property that had a phone booth that he wanted to get rid of. So now I have it. I can't find any type of data tag on it anywhere except for a barely legible date stamp under the shelf.

Anybody have any idea what it is? Also, is there a good way to rehab the plexiglass sign/lightcover, or am I better off leaving it as is?
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

mentalstampede

Well, as far as I can tell from combing google, this model of booth is a 104-DT, which is a brother to the 104-FT that is available at http://www.payphone.com/104-FT-Enclosure.html. I haven't had any luck locating a source for a replacement lens or removing the nasty cracked finish on the existing lens though. :(

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

HarrySmith

Nice find, Congrats! Those plexi signs come up on eBay quite often at pretty cheap prices even for NOS ones.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

mentalstampede

I'll certainly be keeping my eyes open. So far I've just found the similar ones from list 31 types enclosures. Of course, now I need a single slot payphone for it as well.

mentalstampede

I have finally gotten my pedestal enclosure finished. I repaired the light, and found a local sign company that was able to fabricate a new lens. THe finishing touch is a beautiful WE 1D2. This booth would probably be more accurate with a COCOT in it, but I think the Southwestern Bell branding looks very striking. Next step is building a payphone controller to hide in the base of the pedestal, and hopefully I'll be able to find some real Southwestern Bell instruction cards.

Jim Stettler

I call the  pedestal type booths Boothettes,However I think Booth is the proper term. Yours is very cool, I haven't seen that style before. The design features of booths help define their use. As a boothette, this is wheelchair accessable . The lighted top makes me think that it is a "beacon". Maybe for use on a private campus or park. I don't think this was used in a well lighted area.
This is just a guess, It is a nice booth,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

mentalstampede

Thanks for the compliment! According to the gentleman I got this from, it was installed on the porch of a convenience store. In any case, the light really makes it stand out. It seems to be fairly common around this area for COCOT operators to leave their enclosures in place when they remove a phone from service.

Quote from: Jim S. on February 11, 2017, 03:37:40 PM
I call the  pedestal type booths Boothettes,However I think Booth is the proper term. Yours is very cool, I haven't seen that style before. The design features of booths help define their use. As a boothette, this is wheelchair accessable . The lighted top makes me think that it is a "beacon". Maybe for use on a private campus or park. I don't think this was used in a well lighted area.
This is just a guess, It is a nice booth,
Jim S.

AE_Collector

We usually called them Pedestals if mounted on a pedestal or a Wall Shelf or Wall Enclosure if mounted to a wall without a pedestal.

I thought yours looked like an ADCO product so I quickly Googled ADCO 107 as that was one we used a lot of here. Google quickly presented me with a picture of an ADCO 107....a picture in MY Photobucket account. Don't you just love it when you google something and it presents you with info that you have posted in the past!

Here are some ADCO 107's

Terry