News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

701-type Princess Sets from 1959 and 1963

Started by paul-f, April 19, 2013, 10:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul-f

We know the 1959 (first year of production) sets are reasonably scarce.  I'd like to find sets in pink and aqua for my collection.

The recent discussion about 1963 colors suggests they may be even scarcer (last year of production?).  I'm repeating it here for reference and a request for more information.

Richard Mountjoy reported that 1963 701s had the added colors of black, moss green, yellow and light gray.  I believe he found that in research at the AT&T archives many years ago.  I have not found his source yet.

I have, however, found 702s dated as early as January 1963.

702s were announced internally in employee publications beginning in 11/62, so it's possible 701 production was continued briefly into 1963.

I  have not yet found any 701s dated 1963.  Does anyone have one in their collection in any color or a catalog or BSP showing 1963 colors for 701s?  They could be quite scarce in any color.

(Photos Added)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

cchaven

Paul,

Do you know what month they first appeared in 1959?  I have a pink 701, with it's transformer and external ringer, and it is dated 9/59.  The owner put their address on the number card and it uses both the old address and phone number types:  Denver 26, Colorado WA2-XXXX.  The handset elements are both dated 8/59.

I also have an aqua 702 that is dated 4/63.

Jeff

paul-f

Most of the backward-looking articles on the Princess peg its introduction to the fall of 1959.  Events in Telecommunication History lists it in September.

I have a documented sighting of a set dated 7-59.

A lot has been written in Singing Wires about the Princess.  Check out these issues:

Feb and March 1994
April 1996
July 2001
July 2009
December 2012
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

JimH

I have a 7-59 "Princess" phone I acquired a few years ago.  I have the name in quotes because it was before they had the name registered, I believe, and weren't using it on the phone yet.  Just the model number and date are stamped on it.  Later models have "Princess" printed in ink, and even later models have it stamped in the metal.  Mine has an ABS plastic base and a soft plastic handset. The pics are from the original ebay listing; I don't have any pics since I've cleaned it up. Still want to re-dye the cord, though. It's faded to almost white.
Jim H.

cchaven

My 9-59 701B doesn't have "Princess" on the bottom either and like yours, the cords and plastics have faded.  My aqua 4-63 702B has "The Princess" etched into the baseplate.  The  leather base pad on the 702B is in much rougher shape than the pad on the earlier 701B but it's plastics and cords haven't faded at all.  My guess would be that they ink stamped "Princess" on the later 701's and when they did the 702 redesign, that's when it became etched/stamped into the metal?