News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Trash pile salvage.

Started by Whitcrane76, May 03, 2020, 05:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitcrane76

Anybody ever seen one?  It's an "order-wire" phone off the frame. Modular plug-in unit.  Made in 1973.  Cradle mounted upside down to lock the handset in place.  If nothing else, I have an all matching numbers, grey G5 handset now.

Key2871

For something that came out of the trash..
That looks very cool. I'd keep it the way it is.
KEN

Whitcrane76

I have zero plans on messing with it. I just wish I could find whatever it plugs into so I could make it work the way it's supposed to.

Key2871

I would look at Mouser electronics for a card edge connector. Then it's a matter of the board thickness and finger spacing. The connector it's self would be a couple bucks. But I've worked with them before when I was working on revamping some AT&T smart sets for Paul V, so they could be used as a regular phone.
I had to match the Molex connector used to go from tbe chassis to the upper. Because Paul wanted some extension cables to use like the older WE sets had with the 11 octal plugs used in the B and C series payphones. I'm sure there are other places that sell edge card connectors as well. But the people at Mouser really took time to help me out, by sending me a couple samples to try the fit. I thought that was awesome.
KEN

Babybearjs

thats an interesting type phone.... came out of a frame from a CO, huh? very different!
John

Jim Stettler

Cool little phone. Great deal for the price.
Might as well stick it in the May 2020 find of the month.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=23855.0
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Whitcrane76

Quote from: Babybearjs on May 04, 2020, 12:55:10 PM
thats an interesting type phone.... came out of a frame from a CO, huh? very different!

That's just an assumption. I've never actually seen one in use.

Key2871

As I've had time to think about this phone..
The angle of the board and the angle of the phone, don't seem to coincide with being a frame phone.
Because to plug that into a frame and use the card edge connector with the handset where it is doesn't seem to make sense to me. Or am I tripping back to the 70s.
It seems to me that the card edge would be better on the back edge. As the handset is well hidden between the board and the wall thing on the other edge. Odd set up, but it's quite cool
KEN