News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Low Volume on 233G

Started by txmanager, February 21, 2011, 05:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

txmanager

I recently got my 233G up and going and found that the incoming volume in the handset  is very low.  If you put your finger in the rotary and turn it half a number, the volume instantly rises to a normal level.  The output volume (to the person on the other end of the line) seems to be fine.  Any hints, thoughts, tips or tricks??  All input will be greatly appreciated!

Phonesrfun

Payphones can be a problem to trace out sometimes, but it sounds like the switching in the dial off normal contacts is wired wrong, or the wiring of the dial to the transfer contacts is wired wrong.

What model of subset are you using?
Does the phone have the coin relay intact?

Maybe some pictures of the wiring of the upper housing would help.

-Bill G

DavePEI

Quote from: Phonesrfun on February 21, 2011, 05:49:08 PM
Payphones can be a problem to trace out sometimes, but it sounds like the switching in the dial off normal contacts is wired wrong, or the wiring of the dial to the transfer contacts is wired wrong.

What model of subset are you using?
Does the phone have the coin relay intact?

Maybe some pictures of the wiring of the upper housing would help.

I have had the same problem with a 233G in which the dial off-normal contacts weren't engaging/disengaging correctly as suggested above. Cleaning them up and adjusting them brought the phone back to normal operation.
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

txmanager

To be quite honest, I know nothing about these phones.  I ended up with it after my uncle cleaned out his storage shed and no longer wanted it.  It is mounted in a 1950's wooden phone booth which I restored.  The booth came with the 685A subset.  I wired it up according to diagrams I found on this site and everything seems to work except for the little volume issue I mentioned above.  As I said, I know nothing about the phone so your suggestions of cleaning and adjusting the "dial off normal contacts" is kinda leaving me stumped.  I would gladly accept a parts diagram if one exists this way you don't have to hold my hand thru the process.

Also, internal pictures of the phone can be found at

http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g94/txmanager/Payphone/  ( dead link 11/10/17 )