Find of the Month - July 2017

Started by AE_Collector, July 01, 2017, 11:34:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Find of the Month - July 2017    ** THREE VOTES EACH **

oldguy's WE round button 464 keyphone from Craigslist for $35.00
6 (17.6%)
Gary Millam's WE 332-C3 desk phone from eBay for $29.50 plus $11.40 shipping
9 (26.5%)
SUnset2's Old Brass 302 bought at an antique and collectables show in Portland for $35
17 (50%)
tipnring's AE 890 bought at a flea market sale for $17.50 CDN ( or $14.00 US)
10 (29.4%)
Vern P's date matching 1957 WE green 554 in near mint conditions with a dark grey handset cord from an antique shop for $32
9 (26.5%)
LarryInMichigan's WE A1 with E1 handset from Etsy for $110 total
12 (35.3%)
Duffy's 1957 Stromberg Carlson 1583 Hands Free Speaker Phone from Dave Hunter for free
14 (41.2%)
Fabius' Bell System Publication "How To Operate The 555 Cord Switchboard"  User Manual in excellent condition from eBay or $30 total
6 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 34

AE_Collector

Post your "Find of the Month" here.

A "Find of the Month" is a telephone or a related item that you acquired during the month that you are particularly excited about either because of its rarity, the difficulty you had in trying to find it for your collection or the exceptional "deal" that you got on it.

The "Find of the Month" contest is focused on the collection of telephones rather than on their sale for a profit. To be eligible for the "Find of the Month" contest:

- The finder must have personally acquired and actually own the item.
- The item can be acquired for free but it can not be a gift or present from anyone.
- The item (or any of its components) cannot be put up for sale during the contest period.
- Only one "Find" per owner can be in a "Find of the Month" contest.

A Nomination Should Include:

1) where and/or how the item was found.
2) the price & shipping cost.
3) the forum link to the topic discussing the find.
4) the eBay link if won there.
5) and other information of importance about the find.
6) one or two pictures of the item.

Ideally your item would be posted in its own thread elsewhere on the forum such as "Auction Talk", "Flea Market/Yard Sale Finds" or "Collectors Corner" Board. Then you or anyone else can nominate your "Find" to the Current "Find of the Month" thread by posting at least one picture and other details including the price paid, any shipping costs and a link to the original discussion on the forum. It is not a requirement that your find be posted elsewhere on the forum but the more details the better.

Nominations of phones listed in other forum discussion topics, by members that do not own the item but realize it is indeed a "find" worthy of being nominated as a "Find of the Month" candidate, are always welcome.

Please pick your best "Find" to submit for the month limiting your entry to one phone or one "Find" that might include limited multiple items. If you have already entered for the month and come up with something even better either submit your new find indicating that it replaces your previous entry OR you can enter your new Find in next months contest.

To check out a list of all past winners including the Find of the YEAR winners, click here:
          --> Winner's List <--

TelePlay has grabbed pictures of all of the "Find of the Month" winners since we started this back in 2010 and he has put them into albums on forum. Thanks John.  To check them out, click here:
          --> Photo Album <--

Terry

oldguy

I would like to nominate my 464 keyphone. I picked it up on Craigslist last weekend for $35.00. The cloth line cord, handset cord & bottom are like new. there are little scotch tape pieces stuck here & there but otherwise in outstanding condition. I looked at prices on eBay & it seemed like a good deal. It's my 1st 400 series phone.

Here is the topic on CRPF:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18425.0
Gary

Gary Millam

I would like to nominate this WE 332-C3 desk phone I found on Ebay last week as a Buy It Now. The cost was $29.50 plus $11.40 for shipping. When I saw the ad and not being familiar with
this variation of a 302, I looked on Paul's site. It is a neat version with a volume control feature H,M,L, on the right plunger. It is dated 5-51 throughout the phone and it has a 5H dial. The original listing is included as are a few photos after I cleaned it up a bit. The housing has some typical scratches and scuffs, but no cracks.

Gary

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182645362930

Doug Rose

Gary....another great find for you.  This is not an easy find...congrats......Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

Any time I see components on the inside of a phone, My eyebrows raise up. Good find Gary, many will just see another 302 and skip by.
It's like the Prototype 48/500, Dennis and I both saw the odd parts, but weren't sure what it was. It can be time consuming but take the time to look.
Like they say on American Pickers, "There is a lot of rusty Gold out there".

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

TelePlay

I would like to nominate SUnset2's Old Brass 302 he bought at an antique and collectables show in Portland for $35.

Very clean and quite the find.

The phone, with more images, is being discussed in this topic:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18500.0

TelePlay

I would like to nominate tipnring's AE 890 he bought at a flea market sale for $17.50 CDN ( or $14.00 US).

Cleaned up very well, nice colors and somewhat rare, so they say. Very nice phone worthy of a nomination.

The phone, with more images, is being discussed in this topic:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18533.0

Vern P

Thing do happen in 3's,   Last weekend I went to a antique shop 65 miles away.  Found a WE Green 554, with a DK. Gray coiled handset cord. Near mint, all dates match from 3-14-57, this has not been off the wall since in was installed, even has cobwebs in the handset cord.  Sorry no photos.

The cost of the green 554 was $32.

Last months the question was raised as to "given" or "gifted".   In 34 years of collecting, I have been given 100's of telephone, but only gifted 2 of them.

Vern

PS. I have a ABT trans for trade for a Ivory 1554' see last month.

Vern P

Congrats on the find of the old brass 302 and the 332, both are great finds.  The 332 is the one I am missing.  Want to trade :<) ??

Vern

LarryInMichigan

I would like to nominate my Western Electric A1 which cost a total of $110 on etsy (forum link).

Larry

I think I'll toss my 1957 Stromberg Carlson Hands Free Speaker Phone into the ring.

I picked this 1583 model up from Dave Hunter (DavePEI) when we were in PEI this month. I got it in trade for some items that I took to him.
So no cash was paid for this phone. I gave it a clean up. Now I'm am looking around for some replacement cords and a mic for it. 

Before and after pictures below.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18547.0

Fabius

Bell System Publication:  How To Operate The 555 Cord Switchboard. User Manual
Approx $30 which includes shipping. Will be on display with my Western Electric 555 switchboard. Excellent condition.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

TelePlay

Just realized Terry must be up at the cottage or on a boat somewhere in that the July FOTM poll was not started.

Well, it is now so cast your votes for the items you think are the Find of the Month.

Quite a variety of nominations from July so it will be interesting to see where this poll ends up. Three votes per member.

compubit

This was a tough month to pick - lots of great options (IMHO). I'm betting it goes two, if not 3 rounds...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

TelePlay

Quote from: compubit on August 04, 2017, 11:27:01 PM
This was a tough month to pick - lots of great options (IMHO). I'm betting it goes two, if not 3 rounds...

You're are right. I went with 3 votes anticipating a good chance of having a fun-run-off.

Two wasn't enough and 4 would have been to many so only time will tell what 3 votes will do.