News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 565 L in Mahogany Brown

Started by SUnset2, July 04, 2019, 02:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SUnset2

Though there has been somewhat of a glut of brown phones recently, I couldn't resist posting my latest acquisition.

It is a Western Electric 565 L 6 button key set in mahogany brown, dated 12/58.  All dates match except for the transmitter unit.

Unusual features include a lifting plunger (Exclusion Key?), and the rightmost button is a turn knob with two positions.  I haven't figured out the purpose of that yet.  It also has spade tips on the end of the cable, rather than a 25 pair connector.

It was a Buy-It-Now on Ebay.  It cost me $39.99, plus 14.99 shipping, plus 5.50 tax. 

Jim Stettler

That is a find of the month. I think they still made  the brown keyphones for a couple of years after they quit making brown 500's.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

RotarDad

Awesome find!  Jim is correct that WE continued making keysets in Mahogany Brown for a while after they stopped making the Brown 500 sets.  Yours is all complete with the line cord, which makes the find even nicer.  You are correct that the left plunger lift is an exclusion key.  I think the right-most button position was reserved for a wide range of optional features.  My '62 565 has a momentary button on the right side that I think activated a buzzer.  It is interesting that the business sets were made in the Brown and also light gray, two colors that are very sought-after today.
Paul

Babybearjs

Nice phone. Mine is the newer ITT 564. same color, just newer. got mine on Ebay for less than $10.00! and its in service too! my Livingroom phone!
John

oldguy

Gary

Vern P

Yes I agree this key set is more rare than the stander 500.  Great find !!
Vern

Key2871

Wow, I have never seen that color for that set before. That is a great find, and yes, find of the month as well. Good find. Congrats.
KEN

paul-f

Quote from: SUnset2 on July 04, 2019, 02:35:30 PM
... and the rightmost button is a turn knob with two positions.  I haven't figured out the purpose of that yet.

It's for "cutoff."

http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm#565

Check out the details, including wiring options in the BSPs.

Sets with this feature in any color are very hard to find, and those with round keys and all the spade tips still intact are amazing to find in a collection.

You're a lucky guy and have my vote for FOTM.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

SUnset2

Thank you Paul-F for the pointer to the BSPs.  They explain a good bit about this phone.  So it looks like the Cut-off switch is usually used to disable the ringer, sort of a do-not-disturb feature.
- Paul (not-F)