News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Anybody else....

Started by Tonyrotary, August 03, 2010, 01:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmwood

Bumping a somewhat old thread: does anyone know if there's a Caller ID unit that uses phone line power?  Most of the standalone units that I've seen are powered from batteries or, worse wall warts, adding to cable clutter.

Adam

This Radio Shack Caller ID unit that I use:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2109759

works with batteries only or with batteries and external power.  Without external power, the display doesn't light up when a call comes in.

EDIT: Oh, sorry, I see you didn't want batteries, either.  :(
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Jim Stettler

I use or have used all sorts of telco features. At one time I had a cheap package that would let me have any and all of 13 services included.
I started with call waiting.
I used to have my Mother-in-law on distintive ringing , since she called for my wife daily I didn't even have to use caller ID
I have a "Home receptionist" phone. I dial a 1-800 # and it downloads all my servoices as soft buttons on the phone. I have used this phone as a daily driver for 12 years.

AS far as CID I can assign Names to incoming #'s  so the descripotion on regular callers is auccurate and easy to find.

Currently If the phone rings, I let it go to voice mail and eventually will check the caller Id to see if the message is for me (it never is).

Over the years I have stocked up on deluxe CID Units. I like the dial from CID feature.

If you are running a Panasonic KSU and can use a spare pair and split a CID unit next to the phone.
JMO,
JIM
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

DARK FATHER

Caller ID is included in my phone service but I do not have a caller ID box.  I bought 2 seperate Emerson large display talking ones from Sprawl Mart and BOTH had the same electrical glitch.  They would start some kind of weird "timer" on their screens that had four digits seperated with a hyphen in the center of them (12-34) and NOTHING would stop this madness no matter what you tried.  It would only actually ID a caller about 2% of the time. I called the company and they were not a bit of help.  So I got refunds and will NEVER buy that type of useless trash again.
I also do not have any cordless phone, answering machine, or push-button phone (that is hooked up). 
     I ALWAYS answer my phone when it rings because that is the accepted and proper thing that I was taught to do since I was a DARK CHILD.  Let it be a solicitor!  I simply invoke the federal law and inform them that they are to take my number off their list and NEVER call back AND that my phone is on the National Do-Not-Call registry.  They are REQUIRED to do this too!  Ignoring a caller-IDed solicitor will only cause your number to be marked as "OK to call back" for a later day or time.  To stop solicitors you must meet them HEAD ON, not stick your head in the sand!  I have also not gotten a solicitation call in a very long time.
     I have also known people who NEVER answer their phone when someone calls them.  For some reason they have a particular psychological glitch which causes them to call the person back some random and unpredictable later time, even if they had been called at a decent time.  When I pressed one of them as to why he did this rude thing (even to his family) he could not give a reason other than, "I never answer my phone".  This does not make ANY sense whatsoever!  To ignore someone when they call you EVERY TIME is just plain disrespectful and rude.

JorgeAmely

Quote from: Dennis Markham on August 03, 2010, 07:19:00 PM
... I've tried to train my cat to answer the phone but so far no luck...

Dennis: Have you tried cat treats or force the cat to walk the plank?  ;D ;D ;D
Jorge

dsk

No caller I.D. in this house either.
If I don't want to speak to you, i tell you  :D and ....   :-\

dsk

Jim Stettler

I have telephone service for my convenience, and for outgoing calls. I only answer if it is convenient.

With CID  I can tell if it is for me.

Occasionally I answer, with out checking, the call is always for someone who isn't home so I have them call back and   leave  message.
Works for me,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

deedubya3800

We have Caller ID, but I don't even bother using it anymore. All the $@#%s have finally stopped calling. I think what may have done it is a humorous but ugly-worded greeting I recorded in Spanish on our answering machine. My wife was tired of them, so she gave me her full endorsement to do it, too.

The Caller ID is costing us $6.50 a month, but I'm thinking about dropping it and adding an $8.00 fifty-state long-distance plan so I can get more use out my collection.