News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Black 5302 disassembly

Started by Under Dog, October 23, 2014, 08:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Under Dog

I'm about to attempt my very 1st disassembly on a black 5302.  Never having done this before, are there any hints or tips for me? 

I'm assuming I should take some pics as I go so that I can see which wires went where, and how they were routed, etc...  Anything to pay attention to while I'm at it?

unbeldi

Quote from: Under Dog on October 23, 2014, 08:53:13 PM
I'm about to attempt my very 1st disassembly on a black 5302.  Never having done this before, are there any hints or tips for me? 

I'm assuming I should take some pics as I go so that I can see which wires went where, and how they were routed, etc...  Anything to pay attention to while I'm at it?

Yes, I think you should pay attention to everything you see or do, otherwise you might not get it back together.  :-)

DoubleTone

Phone work is perfect for that older digital camera that you've replaced, or any old digital camera you can dig up.  I take lots of pictures of everything before disassembling anything, and while disassembling.  I couldn't even guess at how often I've later relied on those pictures, often zoomed to show details, while putting something back together.

unbeldi

Quote from: DoubleTone on October 23, 2014, 09:56:29 PM
Phone work is perfect for that older digital camera that you've replaced, or any old digital camera you can dig up.  I take lots of pictures of everything before disassembling anything, and while disassembling.  I couldn't even guess at how often I've later relied on those pictures, often zoomed to show details, while putting something back together.

In addition, you see in pictures things and features that you never saw on the real set, yet they were there.

Phonesrfun

A couple of pointers that are appropriate for any phone:

Don't disassemble the hookswitch or dial switch pile-ups.  Those can be a bear to try to put back together.  Don't put any oil in the dial governor raceway, and don't use anything abrasive on hookswitch or dial switch contacts.  If you feel that you need to clean the contacts, slide a business card or some other heavy card stock between the contacts.  You could also use a contact cleaner that you can get at Radio Shack.  You probably will not have to do anything on any of the switch contacts, however.
-Bill G

Kenton K

And don't disassemble the ringer. That can hurt the magnet strength. Just us Qtips and toothbrushes to clean.

KK

Greg G.

I 2nd the suggestion of using a digital camera to take pics of everything before you touch them.  It's probably the most important tool I have for working on phones.  It will also serve as a pictorial inventory.  With good pics, you can get it back together quickly.  I put one of my 5302s back together in 5 seconds flat:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whvm80QZ-xQ
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Matilo Telephones

When disassembling a phone (especially an unfamiliar phone) I use a tray that is devided into little compartments. I group the parts I take of in the different compartments, so as not to get them mixed up.

Sometimes similar screws and bolts have a tiny difference in length, for example.

For remember which wire goes where I often write it down in a notebook. Draw small pics and diagrams with wire colors and letters.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones