News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stoddard Telephone construction co.

Started by Dave Beck, March 17, 2014, 11:17:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Beck

Has anyone ever heard of this make of telephone (Stoddard telephone construction company) I just bought one from a cragslist  listing.

I tried to find them on the internet but no luck. I am sure most parts were made by someone else and they may have just assembled the phone. All information appreciated. I should have it by the end of the week and can post pictures then.

Thanks,
Dave Beck

G-Man

Here are a few references that I was able to find regarding the Stoddard Company......

The December, 1994 issue of the ATCA newsletter contained the following article:

The Stoddard Telephone & Construction Company
Telephony: A trip back in Time

The Electrical World and Engineer 1901-

MONROE MICH The Common Council has granted a franchise to the Stoddard Telephone Construction Company for a telephone system in this city The company is composed of local capitalists and will connect with the lines of the United States Telephone Company. The new company will put in house telephones at $12 per year and business telephones at $24

Electrical Manufacturers Yearbook, 1921-[/font]
Stoddard Telephone Construction Co., The Monroe Mich

Michigan Railroad Commission, 1904-

Michigan May 19 Permit issued to the Stoddard Telephone Construction Company to string across the tracks of the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railway Company five metalic circuits at Strasburg five metalic circuits at Ida Michigan

May 19 Permit issued to the Stoddard Telephone Construction Company to string across the tracks of the Ann Arbor Railroad Company five pairs telephone wires at Lulu Michigan

May 19 Permit issued to the Stoddard Telephone Construction Company to string across the tracks of the Pere Marquette Railroad Company five pairs telephone wires on the highway known as Albion road three miles south of Monroe Michigan[/font]

Order No 65

In the matter of the petition of the Stoddard Telephone Company filed April 30 1912 praying for permission to construct a telephone line in the town of Stoddard and to extend the same through the towns of Nelson Antrim and Hancock to connect with the exchange of the New England Telephone and Telegraph Company in said Hancock and for permission to engage in business in said town of Stoddard and for the approval by the Commission of such construction and such engaging in business it appearing after due notice and hearing that such construction and such engaging in business will be for the public good it is Ordered That the permission and approval of the Commission be and is granted to said Stoddard Telephone Company to construct said telephone line in said town of Stoddard and to extend the same through said towns of Nelson Antrim and Hancock and to engage in the business of transmitting telephone messages in said town of Stoddard

Provided however That said construction authorized in said towns of Nelson Antrim and Hancock shall not entitle said Stoddard Telephone Company to receive subscribers in any of said towns without hereafter procuring the approval and consent of this Commission By order of the Public Service Commission this 18th day of May 1912.

[/font]

Dave Beck

Thanks G-man for the info. That is the company for sure as the tag says Monroe Michigan. Wish I knew what make of telephone it is but I am sure you guys can tell me when I get it and post pictures. I think it may be a Kellogg.
Dave Beck

xhausted110

Quote from: Dave Beck on March 17, 2014, 08:08:36 PM
Thanks G-man for the info. That is the company for sure as the tag says Monroe Michigan. Wish I knew what make of telephone it is but I am sure you guys can tell me when I get it and post pictures. I think it may be a Kellogg.
Dave Beck
Monroe is very close to me. cool to know there was a phone factory there.
- Evan

G-Man

Quote from: Dave Beck on March 17, 2014, 08:08:36 PM
Dave Beck

At the moment I am too preoccupied to search for it but it may be worthwhile for you to locate a copy of the ATCA article which may contain information regarding their instruments.

Dave Beck

I got the phone in this evening and have gotten it unpacked. Not sure what I have, the receiver is not marked and has an ae element inside. The transmitter is marked Stromberg Carlson on the back. I can tell the hook switch has been changed. I does crank and ring the bells, I knew everything else was missing. Look over the pictures and give me all the information you guys can.

Thanks,
Dave Beck

Sargeguy

That is a WE switch.  The transmitter cup looks like a recent addition, is that a zinc-plated Philip's head screw holding the transmitter in?  It looks like Stoddard was one of those small operations, likely a telco, that sourced their parts from a variety of manufacturers and put their own label on it.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dave Beck

Yep those are some phillips screws holding in the transmitter, would anyone know where I might find the correct screws?
Thanks,
Dave Beck

Sargeguy

I have some that may work if the holes aren't stripped out by the screws.  PM me your address and let me know if you want brass or nickel.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dave Beck

Here are a few updated pictures of the Stoddard. I am having the tag reproduced but will not get it until end of next week.

Thanks Gregg Sargent for the brass screws!!!

Dave Beck

I just got the new decal for the Stoddard, My friend did a superb job on recreating it. I have 4 of the decals left if any one needs one let me know. I am attaching a before and after picture of the tag.
Dave Beck