"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Can you help identify this Stromberg Carlson wall phone from Ebay #181349426669

Started by rfkimba, March 21, 2014, 04:45:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfkimba

Hi guys + gal,
I recently purchased this Stromberg Carlson wall phone on Ebay after a bloody battle. I was unable to locate it in the 1901 SC catalogue I was able to find online . It appears to be a more recent central energy  residence telephone model compared to the one on page 17 attached.    I don't have access to the TCI library as I am only a ATCA member. I am dating it between 1904 and 1925. I recognize the cap on the receiver and perhaps the receiver  is  too new.  The back has a recess with a metal plate. Does anyone recognize this model and approximate date. It appears to be in very good condition.
Thanks,
Bob Farber
ATCA 4685

paul-f

Quote from: rfkimba on March 21, 2014, 04:45:38 AM

I don't have access to the TCI library as I am only a ATCA member.

Good news, Bob...  CRPF and ATCA members are welcome to use the TCI Library.
   http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

When you find yourself going back for more (it's an addiction, like phoneitis), we obviously hope you will decide to support TCI by joining it as well.  You'll also get access to a Members Only section of the Library and our monthly Singing Wires journal, among other benefits.

Many of us are members of both clubs and CRPF, and find they all have something of value to add to telephone collecting.

There are also SC manuals posted at:
   http://www.strombergcarlsontelephone.com/

The metal plate in the back is a capacitor. 
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

rfkimba

Hi Paul-f,
I did go to that SC website for the page from the 1901 general catalogue that I posted. This was my closest reference to this phone.
Thanks ,
Bob

rdelius

Has a tuned ringer.The receiver with the metal parts should not be that expensive.They are not rare and reproduction bakelite parts (that might  not fit well) are on some of these

rfkimba

Hi Rdelius,
Sorry I'm not  sure how knowing it has a tuned ringer helps me identify the SC  model or date range.
Can you kindly explain or give me a reference to look for this model.
Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
Bob Farber
ATCA 4685

Sargeguy

I would date this phone around 1900 based upon the external binding posts and large flat condenser.  It appears to have been updated/repurposed about 15-20 years later with a hole cut in the front and the bracket removed so that the transmitter sits flush.  That is when black bells and the new receiver were added, and possibly the harmonic ringer.  There should be a dated next to the "inspected by" tag.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Actually, now that I look at the actual auction photos, I see that the transmitter bracket is still there.  I guess S-C used bigger holes in the door than WE on this type of phone.  I would put nickel bells and the correct bell nuts on it as part of the restoration.  I would look for an older S-C transmitter as pictured in the catalog illustration.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

rfkimba

Hi Greg,
Thanks for the very  helpful info.
I found a comparison phone sold on Ebay#390795422027 which I bid unsuccessfully for  around the same time which I was able to identify in the 1905 SC catalogue .It has the identical transmitter as my rennovated phone so the transmitter I think is in fact  dated properly for my phone.
As you've educated me the harmonic ringer assembly with cylinder and black bells appears to have been added later. In the 1905 catalogue they show untuned clapper bell ringers.  About what date did the harmonic ringers start to appear in phones? Did black bells appear at the same time?   For me to age the phone back it seems I will need to change the entire ringer assembly? If I buy more age appropriate bells and nuts will these fit the newer harmonic ringer threading?
Thanks,
Bob Farber 4685