"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

HELP ID FRANKENRECEIVER WITH 1909 STROMBERG CARLSON WALL PHONE SEE 3/21/14 POST

Started by rfkimba, April 02, 2014, 01:18:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfkimba

Der Guys,
Previously I submitted photos with a 3/21 post of a 1909 SC wall phone purchased off Ebay. Your responses had identified a newer receiver and ringer/bell for needed backdating to match the 1909 phone.   When I opened the receiver I was  surprised to find an age matched metal component dated August 23 1909. The inspection sticker of the phone says 1909. The shell which is too small for the metal components is dated 1913. The end cap is newer and manages to seal this Frankenreceiver if I can borrow Greg Sargeant's categorization.
I compared the 8/29/1909 metal part to several old  SC receivers, WE and a Stroger/AE I own  and no match. I found an online photo of a Kellogg receiver but no match. Can anyone ID the receiver metal elements and 1913 dated shell?
Thanks,
Bob Farber

rfkimba

Hi Guys,
i am trying to attach less photos and distribute over several postings.
Thanks,
Bob Farber

G-Man

Quote from: rfkimba on April 02, 2014, 01:18:55 AM
Der Guys,
Previously I submitted photos with a 3/21 post of a 1909 SC wall phone purchased off Ebay. Your responses had identified a newer receiver and ringer/bell for needed backdating to match the 1909 phone.   When I opened the receiver I was  surprised to find an age matched metal component dated August 23 1909. The inspection sticker of the phone says 1909. The shell which is too small for the metal components is dated 1913. The end cap is newer and manages to seal this Frankenreceiver if I can borrow Greg Sargeant's categorization.
I compared the 8/29/1909 metal part to several old  SC receivers, WE and a Stroger/AE I own  and no match. I found an online photo of a Kellogg receiver but no match. Can anyone ID the receiver metal elements and 1913 dated shell?
Thanks,
Bob Farber

The cap appears to from a handset to cover and retain the transmitter.

Without a link or subject line some may find it to be a bit difficult to find the post you reference without having to search through multiple boards and subjects for that date.

rdelius

That is a reproduction WE rec shell. The insert is old but not SC. I do not know if SC was still using the brass receivers at this point or had switched to ones without the brass

rfkimba

Hi rdelius and forum,

I have attached additional photos of the receiver in question I am trying to ID. The link to the previous posting is below. The SC catalogue from 1905 shows desktops with all bakelite receivers and wall phones with brass receivers. I dont think the receiver internal  component is early   SC, WE, or Strowger . Any ideas?

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11495.0