News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Found 2 pay phones at the local flea market

Started by persido, April 21, 2013, 02:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

persido

Hey everyone, was at a local flea market this morning, I came across 2 pay telephones, the dealer was asking $100 each, I talked him down to $75 each. the AE is dated 1956, but looks like it has been updated. The WE 233G is dated 1963, it is missing a lock and the bottom cover. I don't know anything about pay phones, did I get a deal?  The WE233G is a local phone looks like it came out of Boston.
Could someone please tell me the correct names of the 2 missing parts and maybe where I might find them to make the phone whole.

Thanks.

DavePEI

Quote from: persido on April 21, 2013, 02:12:34 PM
Hey everyone, was at a local flea market this morning, I came across 2 pay telephones, the dealer was asking $100 each, I talked him down to $75 each. the AE is dated 1956, but looks like it has been updated. The WE 233G is dated 1963, it is missing a lock and the bottom cover. I don't know anything about pay phones, did I get a deal?  The WE233G is a local phone looks like it came out of Boston.
Could someone please tell me the correct names of the 2 missing parts and maybe where I might find them to make the phone whole.

Thanks.
Which parts are you talking about? The two round locks and the door?

You can buy covers for the barrel locks as well as good reproduction doors through Oldphoneworks - http://www.oldphoneworks.com/product.php?productid=19450&cat=0&page=1 . The Barrel locks are only security locks and your best bet for them is to just buy a chrome filler for them - for the door, you will need both the door and the lock which fits in it.

Security Lock Blank: http://www.oldphoneworks.com/payphone-security-blank.html

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

cchaven

I don't think $75/each is a bad deal at all, especially since you didn't have to have them shipped.  As long as they are reasonably complete and not been butchered I'd say you did well.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

WesternElectricBen

John S

AE_Collector

Looks like a great deal to me as well. The AE has the delux sign up on top as well.

Terry

Sargeguy

Nice.  My payphone was also from Boston (Dorchester I think).  I paid $100, but mine had the barrel lock, and it's a 236, which means it has an internal ringer.  The hardest part to find is the coin vault door.  It will cost you almost as much as the phone did.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

G-Man

You are looking for a KS-19277 L-xx cylindrical ACE-style security lock in addition to a vault door with an accompanying lock and key.

The bolt that the ACE lock screws onto can be removed if you are unable to find a key. This will still fill in the hole and look historically accurate which will certainly look much better than a blank snapped into place. Jody or Paul may have spare locks in addition to the replacement keys they sell to collectors.

WesternElectricBen

I have a door that I think would fit that.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on May 08, 2013, 06:52:22 PM
I have a door that I think would fit that.
Either an  WE or AE vault door will work.
The WE door has rounded edges and the AE door has the bevel by the edge.
If your door isn't "proper" it is still a working  vault door, which means you should securely fasten the phone to the wall and store your phone cash and other valuables in it.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dixon Hall