News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Found today at an Antique Market

Started by kleenax, April 28, 2013, 09:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kleenax

Not a bad day out in the rain today. Found 3 - 302's, or probably actually 2 - 250's and 1 - 302 w/#4 dial, and a nice 202 w/#4 dial...... All for $100.00   I'm happy  :)
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

LarryInMichigan

Nice find.  I am shopping the wrong flea market.  Today at the local flea market, I bought a frankenphone for $12.  It was a black SC 1553 with a WE F1W handset and North dial, all in fair-poor condition.  I thought that the dial might be worth something because it it the recessed type with a tenite finger wheel, but the bezel has apparently shrunken enough so that the finger wheel does not have enough clearance to turn.

Larry

WesternElectricBen

Thats a great deal, are you willing to part with any of those phones?

Ben

kleenax

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on April 28, 2013, 10:34:17 PM

Ben

Hey Ben;

Always willing to part with any but really scarce pieces that I keep, but
unfortunately, I think that all have been spoken for. Unusual, but was speaking with a friend at lunch, and he said that he wanted all of them!
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: kleenax on April 29, 2013, 05:21:17 PM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on April 28, 2013, 10:34:17 PM

Ben

Hey Ben;

Always willing to part with any but really scarce pieces that I keep, but
unfortunately, I think that all have been spoken for. Unusual, but was speaking with a friend at lunch, and he said that he wanted all of them!

Ok, I respect your disigion!

Ben

Dan

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dixon Hall

Great find!  I'm with Larry; I must be frequenting the wrong flea markets.

Congrats!

Dix

MagicMo

Nice score! I have this picture in my mind: A serious phone collectors at a flea market, walking the grounds, your eagle eyes searching the mountains of debris focusing in on the white of a dial or just the top of faded wooden box from yards away. Your heart starts beating fast, your palms start sweating and you hit your target! Gotta love the thrill.
Mo
Practice Kindness :)

Dennis Markham

Quote from: MagicMo on May 23, 2013, 12:12:03 PM
Nice score! I have this picture in my mind: A serious phone collectors at a flea market, walking the grounds, your eagle eyes searching the mountains of debris focusing in on the white of a dial or just the top of faded wooden box from yards away. Your heart starts beating fast, your palms start sweating and you hit your target! Gotta love the thrill.
Mo

Mo, that pretty much sums it up!  A few years ago I was an an outdoor Antique Fair doing just as you described.  I spotted a booth with a group of phones.  There were some black phones----302's, D1's, etc.  The seller wanted more than they were worth.  Also there was a Mediterranean Blue 500.  I asked what he wanted for "that plastic one".  How about $35?  My hand was shaking as I handed him two $20's and waited for change.  I could hear my heart beating in my ears. :)  He said Boy, I should have said $50.

You're right, it's the thrill of the hunt.  It's fun finding something out in the world that one knows is more valuable.  (Sorry to all of you that have read this story before).

MagicMo

That is awesome Dennis. My story goes more like this: see it on eBay, I really want it, must outbid everyone else, bid high, then pay too much! Lol
Mo
Practice Kindness :)

Doug Rose

Great story Dennis, I had never heard it. It is amazing what the seller deems valuable...Doug
Kidphone