News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What the...?

Started by bigdaddylove, September 16, 2011, 07:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdaddylove

So I won this auction on ebay. I received the item today and as soon as I opened it, I noticed that the receiver was just a hunk of wood carved to look like a receiver. Yeah, sure it can be passed off as Americana, but there was no mention of this in the description. Yes, it said it was untested, but this thing is so obviously fake, you have to be a real idiot not to notice. I have sent a note to the seller and we'll see what he says.

Other than that, I am happy with the set up. There is a lot of crud to remove so I am not sure what make it is but I suspect the scissors are WECO, but I am not sure about the transmitter. Any ideas? I paid $56.00 for the setup plus $16.00 for shipping.

paul-f

The transmitter appears to be AE.  Showing the perch and rest of the scissors (including the mounting arrangement) would be interesting.

(corrected some hasty typing above!)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

bigdaddylove

Quote from: paul-f on September 16, 2011, 08:14:16 PM
The receiver appears to be AE.  Showing the perch and rest of the scissors (including the mounting arrangement) would be interesting.

I finally got the transmitter apart and confirmed it is an AE from 1941. I knew the receiver transmitter might be an AE based on the shape.

I found a patent date of May 11, 1909 on the scissors, but I found nothing else more definitive. I thought the scissors might be WECO based on the shape of the interface between the scissors and the stem of the receiver.

Doug Rose

Are you saying that is a real AE receiver? What the ... ? Doug
Kidphone

bigdaddylove

Quote from: Doug Rose on September 16, 2011, 08:36:59 PM

Ooops! I meant to say transmitter. It has what looks like a 45D 48D on the back of the perch.

No, the receiver is as fake as fake can be.

Sargeguy

The bracket looks like a WE, the perch definitely is.  That's not a Frankenphone, its a Long John Silver (phone with fake wooden parts).  That's probably why it was $56 instead of $100.  I may have an extra transmitter and reciever if you are interested.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bigdaddylove

The "receiver" is pretty heavy, too. I could always use it as a paperweight!

TelePlay

Quote from: bigdaddylove on September 18, 2011, 03:14:57 PM
The "receiver" is pretty heavy, too. I could always use it as a paperweight!

That wood be an early tenite prototype receiver, right?  ::)

Sorry, couldn't resist. Hope you get the seller to work this out for you.

Greg G.

Quote from: bigdaddylove on September 16, 2011, 07:27:28 PM
So I won this auction on ebay. I received the item today and as soon as I opened it, I noticed that the receiver was just a hunk of wood carved to look like a receiver. Yeah, sure it can be passed off as Americana, but there was no mention of this in the description. Yes, it said it was untested, but this thing is so obviously fake, you have to be a real idiot not to notice. I have sent a note to the seller and we'll see what he says.

Other than that, I am happy with the set up. There is a lot of crud to remove so I am not sure what make it is but I suspect the scissors are WECO, but I am not sure about the transmitter. Any ideas? I paid $56.00 for the setup plus $16.00 for shipping.

When I see the word "untested" in a phone description, it usually implies that the phone has all genuine parts, nothing fake.  Something as obvious as a wood-carved receiver should have been disclosed.

But, if you're happy with it, you're happy with it.  It appears to be in good shape otherwise.  All you need is a real receiver.  The wooden receiver will make an interesting souvenir.  I still have a broken switch hook plunger that somebody went to the trouble to hollow out and stick a peg in it to make it work.  It's from the first 500 set that I spent some time on restoring.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Adam

The weird thing about that, going through all that trouble, is, won't a 500 type set work just fine with one of its plungers missing?
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

LarryInMichigan

How do you suppose that someone managed to break a plunger ???

Larry

Russ Kirk

Quote from: Doug Rose on September 16, 2011, 08:36:59 PM

I guess we can call it some form of AE. 

American Elm (Ulmus americana)
or Australian Eucalyptus

For WE it could be
Wych Elm (Ulmus glabra)

Obviously,  someone spent some time making a good replica in wood.

Seriously,  that is a nice set and REAL nice Scissor attachment.

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Greg G.

Quote from: Adam on September 19, 2011, 05:10:20 PM
The weird thing about that, going through all that trouble, is, won't a 500 type set work just fine with one of its plungers missing?

I wondered that myself from the start.  All I can do is guess that somebody may have thought it was electronically necessary to have both intact.  Somebody said the peg is from an old Battleship game.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bigdaddylove

Well, the seller finally got back to me and has apologized profusely and has offered to issue a partial refund. He states that the person he bought it from swore it worked.  ::) Whatever, I get a refund and that's all I really wanted.

So, I'm thinking of asking for a $25.00 refund. I know a headset or receiver will cost more than that most likely, but I'm not about to take advantage of the situation, either.

When contemplating a bid for this item, I was focused more on the scissors and the mount than the receiver or transmitter. I was having a hard time obtaining a WE with a wall mount; I am not about to drill holes in my 1930s art deco desk!

As with anything in life, if it is too good to be true, it probably is -- lesson learned again.

LarryInMichigan

I think that $56 for the scissors mount is a very good deal even without a receiver.  I would accept the $25 refund offer graciously and appreciate the bargain.  I think that a proper receiver can be found for $30 or so, especially if you're not particular about it being the exact one which shipped with the phone.  The transmitter isn't original anyway.

Larry