News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE40 will not ring

Started by Blake A, August 12, 2015, 12:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blake A

I think you might be correct! I do not see any wires attached to either of those posts! Where we the wires to go? Sorry I do not have a meter. Hope you can make this out from the next picture?
Cheers, Blake

NorthernElectric

Quote from: unbeldi on August 12, 2015, 10:26:49 PM
I can't help to wonder whether there are actually wires attached on the ringer.  I can't seem to detect them in the picture and I thought they should be rather visible.   They should be soldered next to the those two screws at the end of the ringer coils, the screws are located very close to the gongs.  There is clearly some solder there (shiny).
Are they just hidden underneath the ringer?
Do you have a multimeter by any chance?

Your post prompted me to open mine up and have a look.  Blake's ringer has been disconnected.  The solder joints I believe connect the coil windings.  The ringer wires connect to the 2 screw terminals.  Is that a couple of taped off spade connectors I see between the capacitor and leftmost coil?

Cliff

Blake A

Hey Unbeldi,
I think you might be correct! I do not see any wires coming off the ringer near the end by the bells. Where are they to be going? I hope you can see from my next picture. Cheers Blake

NorthernElectric

Here is a (somewhat crappy) photo of the ringer connections on my ae40.
Cliff

Blake A

THATS IT!!!!!!!! We did it... A very big thank you to everyone on this forum that helped me get my AE40 phone working correctly. It rings like mad, sounds SO great. I found the two wires for the ringer connection tucked one of the round units. They had been disconnected, taped up and stuffed out of sight. Please see last picture of the wires and the ringer before I hooked it up.
Thank you again everyone. I'm a very happy guy.
Cheers,
Blake A.

G-Man

Quote from: unbeldi on August 12, 2015, 10:26:49 PM
I can't help to wonder whether there are actually wires attached on the ringer.  I can't seem to detect them in the picture and I thought they should be rather visible.   They should be soldered next to the those two screws at the end of the ringer coils, the screws are located very close to the gongs.  There is clearly some solder there (shiny).
Are they just hidden underneath the ringer?
Do you have a multimeter by any chance?

Perhaps unbeldi's new nickname should be Eagle Eyes!!

Good Job Spotting what the rest of us failed to see.

EdTel

Quote from: NorthernElectric on August 12, 2015, 01:36:21 PM
I recently got an AE40 myself and my ringer was grounded, as many of my phones have been when I 1st got them.  I prefer to correct these inside the phone.  Look to see if one of the ringer wires is connected to 'G' on the terminal block that your line cord connects to.  If so, and you want to go this route, you can move that wire to 'L2'.  In this wiring diagram, it says the wire is GR-WH (green-white).  I'm not sure if the color code was the same in mine, but if not it did match the wiring diagram in the base of my phone.  See if yours has a similar diagram on a small folded paper stuck on the inside of the base.

Thankyou so much for this post, this was the last piece of the puzzle to get one of my Dad's old AE40's working again.  The phone now dials perfectly, it sounds great talking on and it rings fantastic.  Thankyou so much!