News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A strange thing I found...

Started by LM Ericsson, February 02, 2011, 04:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM Ericsson

I did not get around about asking about what I found inside my phone ever since I purchased it. The day I purchased it, I took off the housing and found a message on the base under the rotary. It said "Lite don't move" Does anybody know what this might mean?
Regards,
-Grayson

LarryInMichigan

I don't know what it means, but now that you have moved it, you will see what happens :)

Larry

Adam

The only thing I can think of is that there was, at that premises, another set that had a light on it, like a Princess or a 500P/U, and the phones should not be moved around because the wiring for the lighted phone and wiring for the phone you have would not have been compatible with each other.

They could have been made compatible, but instead the installer just made the warning.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

LM Ericsson

I think the pics look better than any of the other ones I took because it was taken at the kitchen in front of the big window. The colors look very true.
I also found this phone very nice. I think it was originally from 1955, but now that it was converted to modular, its no longer much of a rare phone anymore. It still is a good phone for being in good condition. ;D
Regards,
-Grayson

Jim Stettler

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on February 02, 2011, 06:38:48 PM
I don't know what it means, but now that you have moved it, you will see what happens :)

Larry
A very profound "Word to the Wise"
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dennis Markham

I wonder if perhaps at one time it was a lighted phone?  As you mentioned it appears to have originally been from 1955.  The dial is marked -3 for Black.  If you were to lift up the sticker where the date is located, maybe it will give a clue.  Or is there a mark on the base from where a light key may have been bolted?

LM Ericsson

There is no date under the sticker. The date could be possibly located on the front because there was some paint from when it was converted. It could possibly be an early phone.
Regards,
-Grayson

Dennis Markham

I notice some dark black paint on the base.  Often the paint was used to obscure the date, prior to the sticker going on.  Somewhere under there is the original marking.

LM Ericsson

Also, when the telephones were refurbished, did they paint the cords?
Regards,
-Grayson

Jim Stettler

Quote from: LM Ericsson on February 03, 2011, 12:07:47 AM

Usually they used new cords, However, I have seen a lot of the factory repainted cords, both HW and mod. Usually poor preformaning companies ended up with the sub-par parts.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

LM Ericsson

The cord on this 500 was repainted
Regards,
-Grayson

Dan/Panther

Quote from: LM Ericsson on February 03, 2011, 12:07:47 AM

Yes I've even seen White painted Black, and reverse.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson