News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WESTERN-ELECTRIC-RARE-GN-4676

Started by Doug Rose, August 25, 2019, 02:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

This just went on eBay for $669. I want one but can't justify paying that price....Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WESTERN-ELECTRIC-RARE-GN-4676-combined-set-Works-perfectly-Circa-1955-/264431313772?
Kidphone

oldguy

Over $700 with shipping. Way over my price too Doug.
Gary

tubaman

And I thought the GPO were good at recycling old parts, but they had nothing on WE!
That's both a wonderful thing and an awful lash-up all in one. ;D
Not for that money though.
:)

Jim Stettler

Quote from: tubaman on August 26, 2019, 03:26:37 AM
And I thought the GPO were good at recycling old parts, but they had nothing on WE!
That's both a wonderful thing and an awful lash-up all in one. ;D
Not for that money though.
:)
This is actually more of  a prototype/fieldtrial  type set. It was an early  all in one desk set. I don't think they were ever a standard set.
There seems to of been more A1A (round base, sawed off candlestick) sets made  than this style.  I guess they decided the 300 set looked better.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

paul-f

Quote from: Jim Stettler on August 26, 2019, 04:20:15 PM
This is actually more of  a prototype/fieldtrial  type set. It was an early  all in one desk set. I don't think they were ever a standard set.
There seems to of been more A1A (round base, sawed off candlestick) sets made  than this style.  I guess they decided the 300 set looked better.

These have been discussed at length on the forum. Search for GN4676.

Dates on found sets are mainly from 1955 and 1956. More details and some documentation from the Bell System are in the article "The GN4676 "Metropolitan" Telephone and Other Uses for Recycled D-type Mounts" in the August 2018 issue of Singing Wires.

We have certainly seen more A mountings than GN4676 sets.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line