News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Anybody know art work?

Started by Greg G., January 06, 2015, 07:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I found this while poking around up in the attic amongst a pile of forgotten stuff.  Anita says she doesn't recognize it, and it's certainly not mine.  From the grime that was on it, it must have been up there for decades.  The research I've done so far says the frame and art work dates from the 20s, artist is Louis Icart, drawing is called 'PETITE JALOUSIE', "Little Kittens". I just got a book dedicated to Louis Icart's work on how to verify it's authenticity, just need some time to do that.  It will need to be taken out of the frame to inspect it closer.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

unbeldi

It should bring in enough to buy a French phone or an oxford gray 500 or two. :)

Here is another Icart print by the same Paris engraver just a year later.  Also a female in similar body position.  US$3938

Kittens? are you sure? I would translate that differently. There seems to be some discrepancy in that auction. That seems to have been the original sketch.  I think the title should be Petits Chatons.

unbeldi

ok, here is your almost identical print, certainly from the same engraving.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/22421581_louis-icart-french-1888-1950-little-kittens-les-cha

This one is indeed called Les Chatons

...  one American phone  or  a good Mahogany 500.

Greg G.

Quote from: unbeldi on January 06, 2015, 08:23:24 PM
It should bring in enough to buy a French phone or an oxford gray 500 or two. :)

Here is another Icart print by the same Paris engraver just a year later.  Also a female in similar body position.  US$3938

Kittens? are you sure? I would translate that differently. There seems to be some discrepancy in that auction. That seems to have been the original sketch.  I think the title should be Petits Chatons.

You're right, it's not French for "Little Kittens", the translation on Bing comes up "Small Jealousy".  Not sure where they got "Petite Jalousie" ??? In either event, the title is "Little Kittens".  The selling price sheet I got with the book lists several different sales.  The ones in original frames, matted, look like they've been selling for around $600.

Nope, not going to sell it unless it was worth enough to retire on, it's going to hang in our home.  This is a nice find, but it's still not the equivalent of the Superman comic book that sold for 3.2 million.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

unbeldi

It would go nicely above a display of candlesticks or B1s!