News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cortelco 2554 handset ADSL noise issues...

Started by twocvbloke, May 25, 2012, 09:55:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Quote from: gpo706 on June 01, 2012, 06:50:57 PM
Virgin used the ex-Telewest cable for BB, but still needed the BT copper pair for the phone, how does that work?

Maybe they are a reseller of BT dial tone in your area in order to get into the phone business there without having to do all the infrastructure upgrades that would be required on their system in that area. That way they can do the upgrades later and migrate the customers to their phone network without losing any potential customers.

We have lots of that here in Canada. Until they are ready to provide their own dial tone they resell the incumbent Telco's dial tone. Frequently it turns into such a mess with both companies pointing at each other that the incumbent gets the customer back in the end!

Terry

twocvbloke

Quote from: AE_collector on June 07, 2012, 06:53:50 PMWe have lots of that here in Canada. Until they are ready to provide their own dial tone they resell the incumbent Telco's dial tone. Frequently it turns into such a mess with both companies pointing at each other that the incumbent gets the customer back in the end!

Terry

Kind of like Ontera and Bell Canada at the moment? As described by a fella who works at Ontera:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiK_0olwC04&t=16m15s

I can see how reselling others' service through your own can be a PITA...  :-\

gpo706

Quote from: gpo706 on June 01, 2012, 06:50:57 PM
Quote from: twocvbloke on May 27, 2012, 01:57:40 AM
You sure it's Virgin Cable broadband and not Virgin ADSL (over a BT line) for those not in cabled areas?  ???

If the former, I'm intrigued, cos Virgin don't have ADSL equipment in their exchanges, as they pipe their internet over the cable TV network and use cable modems (see below), so why you'd need ADSL filters, I haven't a clue.... :o

This is our old cable modem (Ambit 256, used it before we moved last November, they may have changed them by now for something newer), can't do naff all with the thing now, no cable = no use, and they say "Just throw it in the bin, we can't re-use them", so I hung onto it, cos I don't know what to do with it (sell, throw, dismantle & re-appropriate, etc.).... ???

Sorry for the delay in getting back on-topic, Virgin used the ex-Telewest cable for BB, but still needed the BT copper pair for the phone, how does that work?

And that arsehole of a so-called "engineer" took out my extension out to the living room via my Pana 616 for his cable connection...

I haven't a clue!

Right 2CV, our windows just got replaced and I had to take the NTE5 socket screwed on the lobby window.

The BT copper pair isn't connect to the box at all - they just used the socket to wire up and it all runs back on the old living room extension to meet up with cable line...
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

twocvbloke

Quote from: gpo706 on June 23, 2012, 10:39:54 AMRight 2CV, our windows just got replaced and I had to take the NTE5 socket screwed on the lobby window.

The BT copper pair isn't connect to the box at all - they just used the socket to wire up and it all runs back on the old living room extension to meet up with cable line...

Blimey, they really area bunch of cheapskates!!! :o

If it were my installation, I'd have undone their work and put it all in properly, they say you're not allowed to work on their side of the Master socket, but what they don't know doesn't hurt them, especially when they got it wrong in the first place... :D

twocvbloke

Well, about 3 months on, I have the issue sorted, seems it was the receiver that was the problem, dunno what it was doing, maybe causing a phase variance in the tricyclic quantum resonator (you can tell I'm a trekkie!!), but anyways, with a U3 receiver stolen from the AT&Tified 2500, it's working, volume control works, sound is clear, and it's all looking ticketyboo as the original handset is back in place... ;D

So, the moral of the story is, if you have a Corteclo with (A)DSL noise issues, swap the receiver out for something that, er, works.... :D