News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

USA Sellers That Don't Ship Overseas

Started by HarrySmith, March 17, 2018, 01:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I made an offer to Haf earlier tonight and have decided to make it to all our overseas members. If you find a phone, or whatever, on eBay you want but the seller will not ship it out of the USA you are welcome to have it shipped to me. I would be happy to pass it on to you. I will of course check the packing to ensure it is undamaged to me and will survive a trip across the pond. I have shipped porcelain & glass all over the world with out a single broken item. You can check my feedback on eBay about shipping under D & H Cool Suff.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

dsk

Thank you, that is very kind of you! 
I guess one reason for not shipping Overseas may be the expense. I have sometimes payed the double of the items value for regular shipping.  If  I want it enough, I pay for it, but those costs make collectors in USA/Canada and Europe isolated from each other.

Again, thank you!
When I find something I really want I may ask you for help.

dsk

kleenax

Good on ya Harry!

I also will ship worldwide, and have also been happy to help our overseas collectors if they need parts re-shipped.

Worse country to ship to so far has been to Brazil, and I would be hesitant to ship there again!

As a side-note, (you international collectors may not be familiar with it) you can go to www.usps.com and calculate exactly how much shipping should be, according to your location and the type of package that you are shipping. If it is under I believe 2 pounds in weight, it can be shipping what is called 1st class mail here for a LOT less than our US Priority Mail service. It IS usually a lot slower though. This used to be called "surface shipping", meaning via ship instead of air mail.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Doug Rose

When I sold, eBay's Global Shipping was a God send. Ship it to Kentucky and your work is done. Once eBay got it, your responsibility was over. eBay would pay if lost or damaged. As a seller, you could not go wrong with it....Doug
Kidphone

Sargeguy

I agree with Doug, eBay Global Shipping means that there is really no excuse not to ship overseas.  I shipped a 301A to Italy and someone ripped open the package and stole the transmitter and receiver.  Guess what? Not my problem! Paypal and eBay had to deal with it.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

zenithchromacolor

A lot of the items I sell on ebay are purchased by buyers outside of the US. I have noticed in the last few years that many international buyers, especially in Asia, have been using freight forwarding companies in the US. I ship to a US address, usually on the east or west coast, and the company sends the item to the buyer. I assume the companies can bundle together packages and ship for less cost than if I sent the package directly. This may be an option for buyers looking to buy phone items from sellers in the US. Based on packages I've sent, there seem to be many of these companies in the US, serving countries all over the world. I stopped shipping directly to China, Russia, and South America due to very poor service from the postal systems in those countries. I still send quite a few items to those countries, but all through freight companies in the US.

The USPS international shipping rates have gone up significantly in recent years and they eliminated the "slow boat" option some time ago.

I've heard from several international buyers that they avoid purchasing items through ebay's global shipping program because the cost ends up much higher than paying to ship the item directly with USPS.

Haf

Quote from: zenithchromacolor on March 17, 2018, 05:28:49 PM

I've heard from several international buyers that they avoid purchasing items through ebay's global shipping program because the cost ends up much higher than paying to ship the item directly with USPS.

That is correct. Pittney Bowes is taking good money for their handling. But at least it's a chance, or should be, to buy items from sellers who dead not want to ship anywhere else than lower 48 (btw the flag in my avatar picture has only 48 stars).
I remember a #4 dial I was very interested in from Doug, it was listed for a very good price, about $40 but shipping and handling through Pitnes Bowes/ebay global shipping program was another $45, that is enough to send a complete 302 via USPS to here and defenitely more than the dial itself. And yes, bundeling many small items to just one box would save a lot of money.

@ Kleenax, first dial shroud arrived already, passed customs without any fees and your shipping quote was unbeatable low, thanks a lot :)

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

kleenax

Quote from: Haf on March 17, 2018, 06:27:08 PM
@ Kleenax, first dial shroud arrived already, passed customs without any fees and your shipping quote was unbeatable low, thanks a lot :)

Haf

Thanks for the update Haf!  I know how hard it is to find good parts here in the US;  I can only imagine how hard it is for you (with crazy shipping chgs!).  I try hard to find the lowest possible international shipping charges.

Full disclosure: I used to be responsible for a $17 million freight bill every year as senior transportation/traffic analyst for a subsidiary of Goodyear, so I'm real familiar with what works and what doesn't! Unfortunately, I was also responsible for filing over a $ million in damage claims annually too!
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC