News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A clear phone called "REJECTED"

Started by ....., March 11, 2019, 07:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pieced together a clear 302 from some rejected parts Ray Kotke sold me. I had the handset, but needed the caps for it. Ray offered me some rejected caps and a damaged 302 body. The handset was from Ray as well and also a reject. It doesn't have any opening though the handle for the wires to the receiver.

I used a 1954 all matching dates 302 that I had as the donor for this project.

This phone will never be made to work but it will make a good display piece.

So I now own a phone called "REJECTED"  :)

RB

Ha! Shine up that bell...
it looks like it has blood on it... :o maybe it does...???...
Otherwise, that is a cool piece!!!

Quote from: RB on March 11, 2019, 09:08:32 PM
Ha! Shine up that bell...
it looks like it has blood on it... :o maybe it does...???...
Otherwise, that is a cool piece!!!

Thanks.

That's part of the rejected theme. That bell was corroded, it wouldn't come off so I left it.  It just adds to the flaws this phone has.

RB

well, keep it up...it sure is workin!

Key2871

I have to say that handset looks cool as heck solid clear.
That's a great idea as a display piece, that will and does look very cool.
An after thought, in a set like that, wouldn't it be really cool to have a clear dial. It would have all the working parts of a real dial, but it would be clear. So when you turn the finger wheel, the gears turn, the switches operate etc.
KEN

FABphones

Looking good. Great idea to put that dialcard on it. A clear dial... Am liking that idea too....

Fine as it is, but I too would be tempted to shine up the bell. Chrome plate it 8).

When anyone looks at that phone they will say WHY was it rejected - looks fantastic.

I would love to have one of Ray's phones in my collection. Amazing work.

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

kleenax

Been fiddling with that "Clear Dial" thing for about 15 yrs now Ken.

Here's what I have so far; an early converted #2. I still need to make that metal mounting plate (in clear) that goes underneath the number ring, and some kind of flat finger wheel and number card holder. The trouble is that the plastic is SO thin it's really difficult to work with, so failures are the rule unfortunately. Maybe someday I will finish it.......when I get old ;-)

GReaT JOB Duffy!  I'm happy that you are happy :-)

Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Thanks Ken and Fab

Ray that clear dial is awesome! You do make collectors dreams come true.  ;)

A clear dial from a 500 is in the works, I have the pieces for it. I just have to do some rework to make it fit.

Here is a list as to why I called it REJECTED.

Handset has no opening for the receiver wire.
Handset caps are different shades and the threads are just a bit wider on the inside.
(I used Teflon tape on the threads to hold them on.)
The body had a broken piece out of it on the lower front and I repaired it also a couple other small flaws.
That is why Ray rejected those pieces. I was happy to take them off his hands.
I'm going to leave the gong as is because it's REJECTED.
The pictures don't help, it does look better in real.

There is an old saying "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" but I believe I have.  :)

Doug Rose

Doug....looks great. I would recommend a 6D Dial with a clear open face finger wheel. Clear 302s were for the 39 Worlds Fair. When I did mine from Ray, I used a 4 39 set as the World Fair start of April 1939. Ray made Dial cards for the Worlds Fair as well...other Doug
Kidphone

Key2871

Ray, I should have known that you were working on a clear dial that's looking good. Doug  D, I wouldn't change a thing, maybe other the clear dial. But I agree leave the bells alone. Looking good.
And Doug R, that's a great idea.. all Ray has to do is do up a #6, now that that will be nice.
KEN

It's done, the clear dial off a 500 has been added.

Thanks for the info Doug.
I'll keep my eye open for a 6D dial.

Doug Rose

Doug....looks really nice! Not many have the Genuine Imitation Clear 302s that Ray made. I'm not sure how many Ray made, I think it was 9. Ray can chime in. I know I was thrilled to get mine.

It is Art and Ray is an artiste...Doug
Kidphone

Russ Kirk

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Key2871

Very cool, Doug. I like the newer dial really adds to it.
KEN

poplar1

How did you get a finger wheel from a 500 to fit a 5H dial since they attach differently?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.