News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electrric Desktop Phone...With extra parts?

Started by John S, February 13, 2013, 10:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

Morning!

Bought some phones yesterday on Craigslist.  I opened one of the phones up and found some interesting things inside.  This is the second time I found this inside.  I am wondering if all the phone at once had this extra bulb inside and were phased out.  I think its cool that all those years the parts inside have lasted.  Check out the pics...

John

Sargeguy

That is a 306.  The tube was used on longer lines to improve transmission or something.  It should have a mounting code of H5.  Check www.paul-f.com for more info. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

George Knighton

My Ivory 302 (or at least I thought it was a 302 when I bought it) gave me a similar surprise!

But it works great, and had evidently been re-wired to operate like a regular (non party line) phone before I got it.

Although I've received explanations of the gas tube operation and how the phone was set up for longer loops, nobody's ever explained how the harmonic modification to the one bell helped with anything.

I don't know if it's to provide some kind of "deluxe" sound, or if there were four different modifications for the four different phone numbers...or what.
Annoying new poster.

George Knighton

Here is the inside of mine.

Annoying new poster.

John S

I am having trouble getting mine to ring...George did you have the same problem?  How does it sound when it rings?  Just curious since the ringer is not your usual ringer inside. 

John

George Knighton

Quote from: John S on February 13, 2013, 06:15:02 PM
I am having trouble getting mine to ring...George did you have the same problem?  How does it sound when it rings?  Just curious since the ringer is not your usual ringer inside. 

John

Somebody very kindly had it all set up to ring properly before I bought it.  I'll see if I can get a recording of the ring; however, something that has always puzzled me is how the harmonic modification worked.  This one doesn't sound all that different to me.
Annoying new poster.

George Knighton

Here is the ringer.  I'm sorry but while I was recording Sarah very helpfully asked if it was me ringing the line.
Annoying new poster.

Sargeguy

It can be done, just disconnect the tube (but leave it in place) and wire it like a 302
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

George Knighton

Quote from: Sargeguy on February 13, 2013, 07:37:31 PM
It can be done, just disconnect the tube (but leave it in place) and wire it like a 302

By any chance do you know what it is that the bell insert was supposed to do? 
Annoying new poster.

John S

George, it does sound the same as other ringers.  I will work on mine to get it to ring.  I will wire it like a regular 302 and see what happens.  Will report back....Thank you all for your help.....

John.....

HowardPgh

I don't think you can just wire it like a regular 302 unless it has the 2 section (4 wire) capacitor. I think the sets with the tube have a single section (2 wire) capacitor for the talk circuit.
Ringing part = yellow & slate wires.
Talking part =  red & black wires.
Somebody on this forum knows how to make it work with the tube. ( I read it somewhere)
George's phone in the picture has a capacitor instead of the tube.
Howard