News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My new to me 1D2 rotary dial, and the easy way to open the top lock.

Started by bvr, August 28, 2013, 07:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bvr

Quote from: G-Man on August 29, 2013, 06:15:30 AM
If the area code and prefix were known then it might have been worthwhile to contact Paul Vaverchak for a key to the upper housing.

This should be a sticky, for anyone else who gets an unopened one. Had I known, I would've attempted to go this route first.
Good info to have in here though.

bvr

G-Man

It has been discussed frequently and only works for payphones installed by the Bell Operating Companies and not for COCOT/Private payphones.

Quote from: bvr on August 29, 2013, 05:51:53 PM
Quote from: G-Man on August 29, 2013, 06:15:30 AM
If the area code and prefix were known then it might have been worthwhile to contact Paul Vaverchak for a key to the upper housing.

This should be a sticky, for anyone else who gets an unopened one. Had I known, I would've attempted to go this route first.
Good info to have in here though.

bvr

bvr

Quote from: Dave203 on August 29, 2013, 12:31:28 PM
That's a very nice phone bvr!
Most likely from NYNEX being from the buffalo ny 716 area. I have a 1C also, but its from 212 area code and is a dialtone first phone.

I would say hook up your red/green here where I circle mine and see what happens..

Our instruction cards on the top are slightly different also, i just want to include another photo if I may.

I am very curious how the coin first phones work as I have never used one or seen one up close and ours are so much alike.. This is my first and only payphone.

Dave203,

Thanks! This is also my first payphone. I have looked at this phone mounted on a wall for the last decade+, it was just 3 weeks ago I inquired about it and was told it was mine if I wanted it! I was offered a target saw and told to take the entire wall section if I had too!

I took pictures of everything before I took it apart so I would have reference for reassembly...Good thing.

Your phone looks pretty nice too.

bvr

bvr

Quote from: ESalter on August 29, 2013, 01:00:07 PM
I completely agree.  In Dave203's photo you can see there's a switch on his totalizer that selects dial tone first or coin first.  Bill's totalizer doesn't seem to have that switch, but like was mentioned, why is it marked as a 1A then?  I'm anxious to find out what it acts like when he puts dialtone on it.

---Eric

Eric,
You have me all anxious too! Tomorrow night we will find out, this will be the first place I come to when I get home!
Thanks for all the info everyone. This has been an awesome adventure for me.  This is definitely bringing me back.

bvr

bvr

Quote from: ESalter on August 29, 2013, 01:00:07 PMI completely agree.  In Dave203's photo you can see there's a switch on his totalizer that selects dial tone first or coin first.  Bill's totalizer doesn't seem to have that switch, but like was mentioned, why is it marked as a 1A then?  I'm anxious to find out what it acts like when he puts dialtone on it.

---Eric

Eric,

After hooking up some wire in anticipation of tomorrow nights test session, I can answer your switch question.
It has a jumper, marked PP/DTF. It can just be seen in my photos, on the top of the clear cover on the right side.

bvr

NOTE: The above image was linked, in 2013, to the forum. The hosting account has been suspended. The above image is no longer available. Another example of why images should be attached and not lined from an external image hosting site.

Dave203

My phone is completely dead in the cf "coin first" position. I've tried putting in coins and still no dial tone. I am guessing I need to jump a wire from the coin counter to the tip or ring? If anyone knows please let me know. I'm still trying to read up on as much as I can to figure it out. Everything else works good in DTF dial tone first. It rings and dials out nicely. The handset volume is a little low. Wish it was louder but in all is a great phone.

bvr

Quote from: Dave203 on August 29, 2013, 06:45:27 PM
My phone is completely dead in the cf "coin first" position. I've tried putting in coins and still no dial tone. I am guessing I need to jump a wire from the coin counter to the tip or ring? If anyone knows please let me know. I'm still trying to read up on as much as I can to figure it out. Everything else works good in DTF dial tone first. It rings and dials out nicely. The handset volume is a little low. Wish it was louder but in all is a great phone.

Good to know. If mine is dead in the PP position, I will move the jumper and see what happens.

bvr

G-Man

For Coin First operation you need a telephone line arranged for ground-start.

When a coin is deposited it momentarily connects one side of the line to ground. This is the same type of operation by some pbx trunks.

Since you have a Dialtone First mode you do not have a problem in using your payphone so ordering a ground-start line is not neccessary.

Quote from: Dave203 on August 29, 2013, 06:45:27 PM

G-Man

By the way, there are a number of publications for these sets in the TCI Library including the Public Services handbook series.

Dave203

Quote from: bvr on August 29, 2013, 06:03:53 PM
Quote from: Dave203 on August 29, 2013, 12:31:28 PM

Dave203,

Thanks! This is also my first payphone. I have looked at this phone mounted on a wall for the last decade+, it was just 3 weeks ago I inquired about it and was told it was mine if I wanted it! I was offered a target saw and told to take the entire wall section if I had too!

I took pictures of everything before I took it apart so I would have reference for reassembly...Good thing.

Your phone looks pretty nice too.

bvr

That's a great story..I love being able to pull a phone from a wall myself. Mostly so I know where it came from and it doesn't get hurt in the process. As I mentioned before mine came from 212 and is now about an hour an a half drive away in 203 area code. Where is your phone located now? How far from where it was in the 70's until now?

I got mine on eB and mounted it to the wall of my old house. Something happened and I had to move and I got to remove my first payphone. Kinda a cheezy story but its where my phones been. One business and two houses now :)

bvr

Just to let everyone know...I have a fully working payphone! ;D
Even though the jumper is in the PP position, no coins were needed. As soon as the connection was made some relays were heard to operate. It dials out fine and rings in fine. I'm waiting on the locks and the coin door and I'm going to fabricate a pedestal for it.
Good stuff!

thanks again for the info everyone
bvr

RoatryPhoneLover_2000

Hi all, I reclenty acquired a western electric touch tone Payphone from a old general store, it is a 1C or 1D2.  I think it's a 1C because the back mounting plate says so and I see a bell logo when I half way peeled off a sticker that said collect calls.  I don't know the past of this phone but if I am not mistaking it is a private phone and not a Verizon or regional bell operating company phone, so looking for keys seems no help to me.  I want to cut the levers, I already cut open my vault door and lock, but what levers do I cut?  I see in the photo, is it those bars sticking out or is it something that seems like it has a pull lever?  Can somebody edit the photo and put a arrow where I am supposed to cut open the levers.