"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Questions about a 233

Started by coors, January 18, 2012, 09:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coors

Hi Everyone
New here but have been lurking for a couple days.Just got a payphone,inside says 233hs3/4 It has already been hooked up and works except no ringer. From what I read there is a 425 type network installed and coin coil missing.Now my question is do I have to get a 685a subset to have a ringer? where is a place to get one at a good price if needed?
Thanks in advance

HarrySmith

If you already have a network added there is no need for a subset. I am going to assume the network is where the coinbox was, you can simply add a riner with it.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

G-Man

Quote from: coors on January 18, 2012, 09:20:05 PM
Hi Everyone
New here but have been lurking for a couple days.Just got a payphone,inside says 233hs3/4 It has already been hooked up and works except no ringer. From what I read there is a 425 type network installed and coin coil missing.Now my question is do I have to get a 685a subset to have a ringer? where is a place to get one at a good price if needed?
Thanks in advance

This wiring diagram includes details for your 233 payphone-

http://tinyurl.com/7wah279

And this file shows the wiring diagram for a 685 subset-

http://tinyurl.com/289ftfr

If you belong to the TCI Listserve, a couple of 685A subsets are due to be given away soon to new collectors.

AE_Collector

Coors:

Re: 233 Questions
Wow, you are scaring people away with that subject line! Without opening it I figured I would have to schedule an entire evening to read it!

Welcome to the forum in any event!

Terry

coors

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 18, 2012, 09:32:57 PM
If you already have a network added there is no need for a subset. I am going to assume the network is where the coinbox was, you can simply add a riner with it.
No it is attached to the coin shute my coin box is there, I will try and get some pics on here tonight as I have no knowledge on phones and maybe someone can lesd me in the right direction to make this ring.
Thanks

coors

Quote from: AE_collector on January 19, 2012, 12:21:23 AM
Coors:

Re: 233 Questions
Wow, you are scaring people away with that subject line! Without opening it I figured I would have to schedule an entire evening to read it!

Welcome to the forum in any event!

Terry

Sorry
I changed the heading so it doesn't scare anyone else.

coors

Here is a link to some pics of what I have. The 5th pic is what I think is the network if I understand correctly.

http://s1070.photobucket.com/albums/u486/1coors/

How would I get this to ring?
Thanks

Phonesrfun

To get it to ring, you need to connect any ringer to the line, but you will want to have the ringer mounted outside the phone for two reasons.  First is that the housing is made of steel and there are no vents to allow sound to get out.  The phone was designed to be used with the kind of subset that is both a network and a ringer, such as a 685A.  That subset mounts externally to the phone.  Your phone has been modified where they took out the coin relay and put the network inside the phone where the relay once was.  This is a very common modification, therefore with the network in the phone, all you need is a ringer.  The second reason for an external ringer is that there simply is no room inside the phone for a legacy style ringer.  You could put a cheapo electronic small ringer inside, but it would even be softer in volume than an old style, and so with the cover on, you would really not be able to hear it.

Connecting a ringer across the line external to the phone is pretty easy to do.  The trick is finding a suitable ringer to connect. You might consider just having another phone connected to the line so you can hear incoming calls ringing in.  Remember that no pay phone of that vintage ever had an internal ringer.

I also notice that the bent coin release tab on the hook switch shaft is bent downward.  It is the thin copper piece of metal in one of your photos.  It needs to be bent back up I order to function.  It should be like an upside down "L".  It's purpose is to push down on the little plastic wheel of the coin mechanism so that if a bent coin gets lodged in the coin track, hanging up the phone will press down on the wheel which opens the coin chute and allows the coin to go to the coin return.

It gets bent by putting the upper housing on while the phone is hung up with the receiver hook in the down position.  You should always make sure the hooks witch is up (off hook) before replacing the upper housing.

Sorry for the long drawn out reply.

-Bill G

coors

Quote from: Phonesrfun on January 20, 2012, 12:20:14 AM
To get it to ring, you need to connect any ringer to the line, but you will want to have the ringer mounted outside the phone for two reasons.  First is that the housing is made of steel and there are no vents to allow sound to get out.  The phone was designed to be used with the kind of subset that is both a network and a ringer, such as a 685A.  That subset mounts externally to the phone.  Your phone has been modified where they took out the coin relay and put the network inside the phone where the relay once was.  This is a very common modification, therefore with the network in the phone, all you need is a ringer.  The second reason for an external ringer is that there simply is no room inside the phone for a legacy style ringer.  You could put a cheapo electronic small ringer inside, but it would even be softer in volume than an old style, and so with the cover on, you would really not be able to hear it.

Connecting a ringer across the line external to the phone is pretty easy to do.  The trick is finding a suitable ringer to connect. You might consider just having another phone connected to the line so you can hear incoming calls ringing in.  Remember that no pay phone of that vintage ever had an internal ringer.

I also notice that the bent coin release tab on the hook switch shaft is bent downward.  It is the thin copper piece of metal in one of your photos.  It needs to be bent back up I order to function.  It should be like an upside down "L".  It's purpose is to push down on the little plastic wheel of the coin mechanism so that if a bent coin gets lodged in the coin track, hanging up the phone will press down on the wheel which opens the coin chute and allows the coin to go to the coin return.

It gets bent by putting the upper housing on while the phone is hung up with the receiver hook in the down position.  You should always make sure the hooks witch is up (off hook) before replacing the upper housing.

Sorry for the long drawn out reply.

Don't be sorry for the length of your help.
I will check into this when I get home I also think I will look into the 685a and put a coin relay back in.
Thanks again for everyones help.