"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric D1 with Ringer Box Yellow Marking

Started by John S, August 14, 2012, 10:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

Morning Everybody,

I picked up a D1 with ringer box off Craigslist a couple of days ago. I paid 45.00 dollars for both.  Its in nice shape.  As you can see in the picture they have yellow markings on them.  It was done on purpose, for what reason I am not sure.  I thought  I post this on here, its a long shot but maybe someone knows why.  On the back there is a yellow sticker.  I just think it's cool if you can find the history of phones.  Check out the pictures.  It has the original dial card on the phone.  Any info will be nice.  Check out the pictures. 

John S.

LarryInMichigan

I would guess that the yellow markings correspond to the warning sticker to indicate that the phone was to be used for emergency purposes only.

You got a very good deal for $45.

Larry

dpaynter1066

My Guess is Civil Defense use,  Possibly from an Emergency Management underground bunker.   When we changed policy to Mutual Assured Destruction (MAD) ,  all the civil defense shelters and command and management bunkers were decommissioned and the contents sold off as surplus.

Every now and then, someone opens a closet that was always locked and no one had the key in a basement somewhere and finds a forgotten cache of mouldering Emergency rations and supplies for a nuclear war that just hasnt happened yet.

dsk

It looks like we have went the same way over here too. We still test the alarm sirens in the cities every ear so people believe we have a civil defence 8)

The telephone are great, I would have kept the yellow strip if I should have it in a collection, but not if I should used it in the living room.

dsk

twocvbloke

It's nice to know out governments would prefer we were dead in the event of a nuke attack with that M.A.D. thing... ::)

Still, it's a neat phone and a piece of history, the war that never happened, definitely something for keeping or even displaying at a museum or something... :)

dpaynter1066

Im not worried about Nuclear war,  coz the Asteroid will soon be here.

There is a nuclear equivalent of Daves museum called the Civil defense museum

http://tinyurl.com/9nl9rb5

twocvbloke

Quote from: dpaynter1066 on August 14, 2012, 03:42:31 PM
Im not worried about Nuclear war,  coz the Asteroid will soon be here.

And if you believe that, you'll believe anything!!! :D