News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

20AL find

Started by Pourme, January 19, 2017, 03:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

Today as I visited a regular haunt, where I have found several of my phones, I found a Western Electric candlestick marked 20AL. The switchhook was configured to hold a headset rather than a standard handset receiver. However, there is no receiver with the unit. Asking price was $125. The owner has come to know me and told me I could have it for $75.00. I went home and thought about if I wanted it, I'd prefer a standard configuration. I went back and offered $65.00 and he accepted, I took it home. I have since began to disassemble it. The transmitter cup is stuck on the bell housing, any suggestions on how to separate it?

I have to decide if I want to keep it as a headset unit, I assume I could replace the switchook and use it as a standard handset. Am I wrong? Because there is no receiver, I will have to purchase a reciever and the cord, anyway. Is value affected either way?

I'm value your opinion.

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Sargeguy

It is not particularly valuable as is, it is only worth the sum of it's parts so you would probably be better off if you were to restore it to a 20AL.  I usuall heat up the transmitter assembly in the oven and then pry it apart  For a 20-AL you would need the older style transmitter, typically a 329.  Are there any markings on the back of the cup? If it says "Western Electric" it is not even a phone cup, it is RR apparatus etc.  A hook should run you around $15 (I just sold one on eBay for around that price) and a receiver should be around $30, a329w transmitter is usually $15-20.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Pourme

Sargeguy,

Here is a pic of the switchhook. Is there anything in particular I need to look for to assure I get a compatible piece? Looking at the ones offered currently on EBAY, they all look a little different, but also some look as if they could work.

I heated up the transmitter with the hair dryer after I read your post and it didn't help. I'm also adding some WD40 soaking into the crevice to try to weaken the bond. there is no markings on the back, as you can see. Are you saying this is incorrect for a 20AL? You say put it in the oven? What temp, how long?

Thanks for your help!

Benny

Benny

Pourme

After some paint removal...
Benny

Sargeguy

Is the base nickel or brass?That is a 20-B or 20-S base, note the '04 patent date.  Looks like you have yourself a "Frankenphone" that was constructed from misc parts by a refurb shop.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Pourme

Makes sense.... the screws were buggered up inside and out.

The base is all brass.
Benny

Pourme

Same phone after EZ off and metal polish. It really needs to be painted to look it's best as the surface has a orange peel finish and not at all smooth. This one would not yield a mirror finish no matter how much it is polished.

I'm thinking this one will make it's way to EBAY trying to get my $ back out of it. Too many things need to be done to get it even close to an original phone. This is my first WE stick and not what I had in mind for my collection.

I would be interested in a standard switchhook and receiver for a good price if anyone has one in their parts box. If I had that I might would keep it for display for a while.

Benny
Benny

rdelius

I do not see any problems with the  set. it appears to be an ex railroad set from the headband hook and most railroad sets were in service long enough for the bulldog transmitter.That brass will shine if pits were sanded out

Pourme

Are you saying that the original transmitter was replace out of necessity because of use and wear? A close look does show a great deal of wear on the shaft from use. Which is fine, I expect a one hundred year old unit to show use.
Benny

Jim Stettler

The original transmitter was replaced because the bulldog transmitter has better transmission qualities.
JMO,
jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Sargeguy

The pitting was from hand oil, grime, salt etc. and uneven oxidization of the brass as the paint or nickel wore off.  I agree it is proper RR apparatus, but that does not mean it wasn't built from recycled parts and upgraded, repainted over the decades.  The fact that the 20-AL designation was not obliterated and replaced by another number is one sign that this was not "official" and was probably done in a shop.  RR apparatus like this were in service far longer than the average candlestick telephone.

I am in the process of selling off a lot of my project phones.  I can see what I have for a 20-AL, probably minus a cord or two, with the correct transmitter.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Pourme

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 21, 2017, 01:55:40 PM
The pitting was from hand oil, grime, salt etc. and uneven oxidization of the brass as the paint or nickel wore off.  I agree it is proper RR apparatus, but that does not mean it wasn't built from recycled parts and upgraded, repainted over the decades.  The fact that the 20-AL designation was not obliterated and replaced by another number is one sign that this was not "official" and was probably done in a shop.  RR apparatus like this were in service far longer than the average candlestick telephone.

I am in the process of selling off a lot of my project phones.  I can see what I have for a 20-AL, probably minus a cord or two, with the correct transmitter.

Thanks for the offer, Sargeguy....I look forward to seeing what you have!

Benny
Benny

rdelius

Railroaders were rough on equiptment,mouthpeices got broken.Telephones were installed in waystations outside along the track and places like roundhouses with smoke and steam that was hard on equiptment.Your set has a long history only it will not tell it

andy1702

I wouldn't change any of the parts without knowing for sure the parts I put backw ere originally there on that particular phone. If you can't prove it definitely did not have a headset originally then the headset should stay to preserve the historical accuracy of this particular unit.

Andy.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

Pourme

Quote from: andy1702 on January 24, 2017, 09:12:10 AM
I wouldn't change any of the parts without knowing for sure the parts I put backw ere originally there on that particular phone. If you can't prove it definitely did not have a headset originally then the headset should stay to preserve the historical accuracy of this particular unit.

Andy.

I agree, after thinking about it, I have decided to do just that. I'm looking for a reasonably priced head set for this phone. I will install it on the phone, whether I keep it or not. I'm not in a big hurry and will purchase it when I find it. I run accross them from time to time here locally.
Benny