News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 40 pix

Started by finlover, January 24, 2010, 03:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finlover

I liked the AE 50 so much I had to get the companion desk set!  I got this one for $15 off ebay, then I ordered banded handset caps and a chrome fingerwheel from Phoneco.  Despite its compact size this phone is heavier than a '50s 500, thanks to the bakelite I'm sure.  The Monophone sticker on the underside is original.  When I first opened it up, I thought the bells were badly oxidized but they're actually painted black.  Maybe they're steel?

finlover

more pix

LarryInMichigan

Finlover,

It looks great.  I have an AE40 on my desk here.  It's also a great phone even though it isn't very shiny.

Larry

finlover

That looks pretty shiny to me!  If I can figure out how to make it ring I might put mine into service too.  Before seeing an AE 40 in person, I didn't realize how dramatically styled they are.  A 302 looks very conservative by comparison.

bellsystemproperty

Falling to the dark side of Automatic Electric are you?  ;) ;D
I have an AE 40, but mine is scary looking. I'll get it fixed up, but I am still adding extensions on the Panasonic and other things. The AE 40 is definitely a good looking phone.

HobieSport

Here's an old thread about the design and designer of the venerable AE 40 if anyone is interested:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=980.45

The WE 302s certainly are conservative in their design by comparison, as was typical of Henry Dreyfuss's designs, while Herbert F. Obergfell, designer of the AE 40, really did seem to be going for more "drama". I assume Obergfell also designed the AE 34 and the AE 50, but I'm not sure about that.

There is also an AE 34 in that thread, and it too was treated with carnauba wax with great results.
-Matt

ntophones

Finlover,
Have you checked your L2 connection? Maybe it is set for the ringer not to ring (see your circuit drawing in the phone.)
Your ringer is Straight Line, so, it shouldn't be too hard for you to get it ringing.

Great work on it! It is very beautiful--what a wonderful companion for your AE50.

By the by, how did you find the chrome bands at Phoneco?

HobieSport--thanks for that link! I love the Automatic Electrics!

nto
--nto

finlover

Quote from: HobieSport on January 24, 2010, 07:16:00 PM
Here's an old thread about the design and designer of the venerable AE 40 if anyone is interested:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=980.45

The WE 302s certainly are conservative in their design by comparison, as was typical of Henry Dreyfuss's designs, while Herbert F. Obergfell, designer of the AE 40, really did seem to be going for more "drama". I assume Obergfell also designed the AE 34 and the AE 50, but I'm not sure about that.

There is also an AE 34 in that thread, and it too was treated with Caranuba (sp?) wax with great results.
Thanks for the link, Hobie!  I have definitely gone over to the AE "dark side".  Maybe it's because they look so much like Darth Vader! :)

finlover

Quote from: ntophones on January 24, 2010, 07:45:12 PM
Finlover,
Have you checked your L2 connection? Maybe it is set for the ringer not to ring (see your circuit drawing in the phone.)
Your ringer is Straight Line, so, it shouldn't be too hard for you to get it ringing.

Great work on it! It is very beautiful--what a wonderful companion for your AE50.

By the by, how did you find the chrome bands at Phoneco?

HobieSport--thanks for that link! I love the Automatic Electrics!

nto
Thanks for the tip, nto!  Honestly I haven't even hooked it up yet, but I had heard some of these have frequency ringers, and I don't know the ins and outs of those yet.

Apparently, Phoneco has plenty of chrome banded caps on hand--I've ordered two sets from them so far. 

Dan/Panther

Fin;
What did all the chrome cost ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

LarryInMichigan

Finlover,

Mine looks alright in the dark, but the the sunlight hits it, it looks rather dull.

Your phone has a normal ringer, so it should just work.

Larry

Dan/Panther

What is the trick to finding parts on phonecos site. I've never seen a worse index fore a site in my life.
I've looked that sight high and low and can not find parts for the AE40, I can find the phones but no parts listed on the home page. It says Payphones, Payphone parts, then it says wooden phones, and wooden phone parts, then it goes on to Art Deco phones of the 30"s but no parts.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bingster

Finlover, if I'm not mistaken, the "ASL" marking on the bottom of your phone indicates it has a straight line ringer inside.
= DARRIN =

McHeath

I read in a book on design once that industrial design and the general American public are a tricky mix.  If it's too far outside the norm the public will tend to reject it.  So a lot of design that really becomes a big seller is not all that visually dramatic, such was the gist of the book.

The immediate post WW2 era was noted as an exception to this rule, when people wanted things that were sleekly modern and devoid of historical references.

Perhaps AE did more edgy designs as they were not the big Mama Bell on the block, and so perhaps they could get away with it.  (speculation on my part) 

I do agree their designs of the 30's to 50's have a much sharper edge to them than WE products, the Hip Cats of the phone world in their day. 

finlover

Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 24, 2010, 09:10:48 PM
What is the trick to finding parts on phonecos site. I've never seen a worse index fore a site in my life.
I've looked that sight high and low and can not find parts for the AE40, I can find the phones but no parts listed on the home page. It says Payphones, Payphone parts, then it says wooden phones, and wooden phone parts, then it goes on to Art Deco phones of the 30"s but no parts.

D/P
You're right, D/P, their site is maddening!  Just give them a call, they're very nice if a little pricey.  The caps were $40 and the fingerwheel was $10 I think.  Well worth it considering how it dresses this baby up.