"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Restorating an AE "F" Type Navy Phone

Started by Slal, November 10, 2014, 10:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slal

Thanks.

Took a while because let paint dry for a couple of days after each coat.

Am probably only person in world who would strip paint off just to *repaint* a satin gray.

OPW and a gentleman who works on them sell brassed out ones for $1000!

So this phone has been on wish list for a while.  Thought retail price was insane, but after all the labor involved can see why they have to ask so much.

Goal for this was to spend as little as possible-- 18 dollars & some change.  Will probably get lamp from Mr. Hilz & handset from fellow who works on them, but that's for future upgrades.

It's the holidays!  Time for phones maybe in January.

Best

--Bruce

Doug Rose

Hey Bruce...mine is a little different as it has a directory on the side. It is brass and you are correct...it is heavy. I could never find a handset as you can see this is too long. Steve Hilsz is sending me one that "needs work." I love a challenge...Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Very nice, Bruce! Awesome restoration and great documentation ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Slal

Thanks.  Still a work in progress because I've gotten sidetracked in finding a navy "boat" phone to go along with it.

About a week ago, a member here posted a couple of photos under the topic "My Corner."  Admired phones, signs, and also typed I liked the clocks too. 

He replied.  "Thanks.  They are navy clocks...)

So there you go.   Can be dangerous forum for spendthrifts.  ; )

Doug, thanks for photos & best wishes on HS.  Never seen one that has directory & numbers painted on finger wheel... 

Downloaded for future reference

--Bruce

Doug Rose

Bruce...is this what you mean by a "Boat Phone." This is one heavy phone!! Much heavier than the AE F Type....Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

Regarding the type f set handset,any type 41 should fit. If it does not,the cradle has been bent.
The handset that has the ptt switch that is similar to the type 41  type 27? will not fit.

Slal

An  AE "B" phone!  Nice to see one where cradles (shock mounts?) haven't been brassed out. 

Doug, what's interesting on both of yours is number cards appear to be *mounted* on fingerwheel, so maybe no need for escutcheon rings?  Would make sense if meant to be water resistant.

RDelius, run across any that had escutcheon rings while at COT?  Most phones I've seen on eBay are missing these rings. 

Cat. 4055-D (July 1944) states AK-38 cards have numbers that are luminous.  If Radium, seems logical they'd *have* to be mounted on aluminum or something that wouldn't flex & have luminous material flake off.

Anyone have earlier catalog or doc for the shorter 27B HS?   Can't find any reference to one until Circular 1905 5M March 1958...  : 0 !

As for "boat clock" should've been more specific.

Attached is photo of companion piece I'm testing to see if it keeps correct time.  Believe a navy "Deck Clock" was larger-- approx 8" diameter (and expensive) while a smaller "Boat Clock" is about half that size (and more within my price range.) 

That's what I meant about being spendthrift.  Member replying, "Thanks.  They are Seth Thomas navy deck clocks." 

Navy clock for navy phone...  Makes sense right?  Early Christmas present for myself if clock in the photo keeps time.  :)

Best & happy holidays

--Bruce

rdelius

When they had rings,sometimes the #card was metal painted black instead of paper and had numbers that might have glowed in the dark. They reacted with the plastic cover

Slal

Yes, doesn't look like I'll be able to replicate lines & numbers unless can find correct size decals at a hobby shop or somewhere.

Anyway, don't like loose ends, so here's photo of lamp & that's a wrap I guess.

In total darkness, dial looks pretty cool imo.

Happy holidays.   :)

--Bruce