News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

'04 Perch on 51AL c/s ?

Started by Fabius, December 30, 2016, 03:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

I am on the road and stopped in a antique shop that had  a WE c/s. The perch was the earlier '94 type. The original number on the perch was stamped out and it was marked 51AL. It would seem to be a WECO reuse of a perch?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

TelePlay

Can you make out what it was that was crossed out?

HarrySmith

Yes, that was a company refurb. I believe all those model sticks were. Others will know for sure and chime in here, I am not the Candle Stick expert. I only own 1.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Fabius

Quote from: TelePlay on December 30, 2016, 03:34:27 PM
Can you make out what it was that was crossed out?

I tried but no. I'm kicking myself for not getting it. It had a 2AA dial with no notch. A 144 receiver and a WECO metal subset. I didn't get the model number of the subset. It is in an antique shop with a price of $195. I'll offer $150. I would at least expect the customary 10% off. The shop is a hour away and my wife wants to go to a place in the opposite direction. Maybe she wouldn't notice the detour.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

Western Electric made  new 51ALs from about 1925-1930; they are shown in Catalog #6, 1925. There were also conversions, which were done in the WE repair shops. 151ALs, on the other hand, were always conversions.

If the subset has enclosed gongs, it is probably a 534A.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Sargeguy

Interesting.  I have seen the earlier types made into 151-ALs and 120-ALs, but never a 51-AL.  Are you sure it isn't a 151-AL? I don't think they had many "151-AL" stamps.  I have handled a lot of 151-ALs and usually they used the 51-AL stamp and added a "1" before it.  Sometimes the one matches up pretty well and is aligned, sometimes the 1 can be hard to see, and may just be a scrape.   
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

Quote from: Sargeguy on December 31, 2016, 12:57:24 AM
Interesting.  I have seen the earlier types made into 151-ALs and 120-ALs, but never a 51-AL.  Are you sure it isn't a 151-AL? I don't think they had many "151-AL" stamps.  I have handled a lot of 151-ALs and usually they used the 51-AL stamp and added a "1" before it.  Sometimes the one matches up pretty well and is aligned, sometimes the 1 can be hard to see, and may just be a scrape.   

I've decided to buy it and I just checked with the shop to make sure they are open today with it being New Year's Eve. And they are. I'll report back.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Fabius

Here's the picture of the stamping on the perch.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Jack Ryan

It might have been a 20B perch.

Jack

Sargeguy

I agree 20-B repurposed as a 51-AL.  Very interesting!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

More pictures. I was able to buy it for $165. It has a 2AA dial, no notch. The subset is a 534A. The cloth wool? cords are in very good condition. I removed the base and there were no dates. I was wondering if there would have green refurb date stamps but no. Interesting number card which I haven't seen before.

When I opened the subset there was something hard wrapped in newspaper inside. I was thinking wow, this is where they hid their gold coins and they forgot all about them. But no, it was the dry wall screws that must of held the subset in place. The paper was dated 1989.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

WEBellSystemChristian

Nice buy! I agree, I see 20B...

On a really good day, the dial alone could sell for what you paid for everything.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford