News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

An Extra Use For My VOIP

Started by 19and41, January 02, 2019, 03:38:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

I finally yielded to the siren song of my VOIP provider and have ordered the start of a home security system.  I've heard a lot of good reports about it .  I've been using the VOIP service for a few years now and it has been pretty reliable.  The price is not too bad either.  The user is the central office, and they call 911 via the home phone system, from any location.

https://www.ooma.com/home-security/
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Fabius

What happens if the bad guys cut the internet input cable/wiring? And then break in?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

19and41

Most of the bad guys around here have the common sense of masonite.  Also I have bright lighting around the house and relatively close neighbors.  This should be better than what I don't have now.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

If you don't have a security system now, than yes having one is a good idea. I remember the good old days, when you didn't need one... Just a memory now.
KEN

Owain

Is any of it on a UPS? Conventional burglar alarms will run for hours on batteries.

A lot of British homes have external electricity meter cupboards. Criminals can easily disconnect the mains supply.

FABphones

CCTV is a passion of mine. My place is smoothered in it. Even the bird boxes have it in their homes.  ;D ;D ;D

Originally I started out with a basic 8 camera kit, then as I got more into it I replaced the lot with professional equipment. Just one very expensive high tech camera on the want list now. If I didn't keep buying phones I would already have it....  :-\
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

bobv

Quote from: Fabius on January 02, 2019, 06:05:07 PM
What happens if the bad guys cut the internet input cable/wiring? And then break in?

now days cellular backup system. we don't need cable or wiring

Fabius

Quote from: bobv on January 03, 2019, 06:03:03 PM
now days cellular backup system. we don't need cable or wiring

Yes. My system is completely wireless. Connects to the monitoring center by cell service. Software updates come in by cell service. Equipment has an RJ-11 jack to use a land line or voip as a backup.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

bobv

Ooma, they don't have cellular backup system. you can ask that question