News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My WE B-1

Started by Birdman115, September 05, 2013, 11:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birdman115

A few weeks ago I won this Western Electric B-1 on eBay.  I specifically wanted one which was pitted and needed some work because I decided I wanted to have it chromed, and I wouldn't do that to a phone which was in good condition with original factory paint.  I am including pictures of what it looked like when I got it, and what it looks like now after sending it to Don Pirre at Coat of Chrome.  I would appreciate feedback.  

Birdman115

Here is the finished product.

Doug Rose

I have a pitted B1 I'd love to get chromed. Let me know where you got this done....many thanks...Doug
Kidphone

Gilas

That looks great.  They did amazing work.  Love that the bands were done as well.

Mike

Birdman115

Quote from: AE_Collector on September 06, 2013, 12:02:53 AM
Looks great! What sort of cost is there in all the chrome and how long did it take to have done? What prep work did you have to do to the metal?

Terry
Sorry for the late reply!  It cost $400 for the chrome, done by Coat of Chrome.  They did all the prep work needed as well as the actual chroming. 

Birdman115

I had this chromed by Coat of Chrome.  They did all the prep work as well as the chroming.  Total cost was $400.00.

Doug Rose

Coat of Chrome put the plating on the bakelite rings of the E1 on both phones? I didn't know you could plate bakelite. $400 to chrome the 1st B1 seems very expensive. Did you paint the Ivory one? Came out really nice....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Wow, looks great. How did they plate the bakelite?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WesternElectricBen

TelePlay

Quote from: HarrySmith on August 16, 2014, 04:30:05 PM

It does look great and without hearing back from Birdman115, I'd take a guess it's the same process they use to plate plastics.  Here's one of many online descriptions of how it's done. They don't mention bakelite but from seeing what was done, that must also be possible. Lot of chrome plated plastics in cars these days.

"Depositing metal plating on plastics dates to the 1930s, when it was accomplished by roughening the outer part of the plastic in order to add a conductive metal, and then electroplating the combined plastic/metal product. Both vacuum and electro plating can be used to apply metal plating to plastic parts, although the parts must be suitably prepared before undergoing the plating process. The most common types of metals used for plating on plastics are copper, chromium, gold, silver and nickel, although other metals can be used. The process is commonly applied to various electronics components, as well as automotive parts and surfaces.

In addition to the aesthetic advantages, plating also provides a number of potential physical enhancements to the plastic. These include added corrosion resistance, strength (in certain respects), and chemical resistance. Among the plastics plated by the electroplating process are acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene (ABS) plastics, Teflon and ABS/PC blends. Various metallic colors are also available, from gold and brass to silver and black.

Vapor deposition coatings are applied to plastic surfaces mainly for decorative purposes. In this process, the plastic component is placed in a vacuum chamber with the metal that will be used to plate it. The metal is then vaporized by an electric charge, whereupon it settles on the surface of the plastic, creating a metal coating. The electroplating process differs from vapor deposition in that the plastic component is placed within a solution, which is subjected to an electric current. Due to the nature of the solution and the anode, as well as the properties of correctly treated plastics, a layer of metal will form on the plastic. This layer can be enhanced with additional layers of plating, so that a copper coat can eventually be followed by nickel, chrome and satin steel layers. Plated plastic parts are advantageous in that they are considerably more lightweight, flexible and inexpensive than similar metal components."

Birdman115

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 16, 2014, 08:15:17 AM
Coat of Chrome put the plating on the bakelite rings of the E1 on both phones? I didn't know you could plate bakelite. $400 to chrome the 1st B1 seems very expensive. Did you paint the Ivory one? Came out really nice....Doug
Yes, I painted the ivory one.  And, yes, Coat of Chrome was able to plate the bakelite.  He advertises that he can chrome anything, including clothes!

Birdman115

Quote from: HarrySmith on August 16, 2014, 04:30:05 PM

I am not sure how they plated the bakelite.  They advertise that they can plate nearly everything. 

Birdman115

Quote from: Gilas on September 06, 2013, 07:26:12 AM
That looks great.  They did amazing work.  Love that the bands were done as well.

Mike
Ya, the chromed bands kind of set it off, don't they?  Thanks!