and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1948 to 1950 Cost to rent/ production numbers

Started by winkydink, December 04, 2011, 02:04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

winkydink

Can some tell me where I can find out the following info

1)  Cost to rent a phone (302) in the late 40's to 1950

2)  The approximate number of 302's manufactured by year by Western Electric (again around 1950 would be good)

Thanks for any help you can lend me !

AE_Collector

Phone service *included* the telephone back then. You will have to identify whether you want to know what the monthly rate for phone service was and I am sure there was a wide range of prices for that as here rates were set at least partially based on how many phones you were able to call within the local calling area. Maybe you want to know the *extension phone* rate for additional phones on the line? These were big money makers back in the day and of course there was a wide range of prices depending on the model.

I remember in the mid 70's or maybe early 80's a standard dial extension phone (AE 80 typically) was $3.45 / month. Then they had to seperate the phone out from the monthly phone bill and the monthly line charge dropped by something like $1.35 /  month and if you kept the phone it was $3.45 / month. Touch call phones were at least $1 / month more than the rotary phone rate and I remember Styleline (Trimline) phones being around $5.75 / month in rotary and almost $7 / month in Touch Call. Of course touch Call line rates were $1.50 a month more as well.

Terry

Phonesrfun

Phone service was also based on where you were located, I.E., which state, and which operating company's  boundaries you lived in, and whether you had a private line or a party line, and how many parties were on the lines and whether you had a flat rate for local calls or if it was based on measured service.

The only way I know of to find out is to get some kind of rate information for the location you want.  Some companies used to publish this information in the front section of the phone books.

Old phone books can usually be found at larger public libraries.

-Bill G