"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Peking red plastic WE302, clear dial?

Started by KeithB, August 16, 2010, 01:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeithB

http://tinyurl.com/2frwd3u

The current bid is at $56 and the auction has four days remaining. 
Is the clear dial something unusual?

Dennis Markham

Keith, that finger wheel is the wheel that should be on that phone.  I'd be willing to go out on a limb and predict that it will increase dramatically before the end of the auction......$250-$350, maybe more.

HarrySmith

I asked the same question a while ago when I saw a Red one on eBay with that fingerwheel. It just did not look right but I was informed it was correct.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

KeithB

Quote from: HarrySmith on August 16, 2010, 02:13:27 PM
I asked the same question a while ago when I saw a Red one on eBay with that fingerwheel. It just did not look right but I was informed it was correct.
I agree, it's bound to go much higher, considering it's in very good condition.  I haven't learned who's who on the bay from this forum and both organizations, but certainly don't want to go bidding on a prize I know I'll not win. :(  Maybe one of you more serious  ;) collectors might be interested.  ;D

jsowers

Keith, the way identities are hidden, I don't think any of us knows who we all are on eBay. Terry Biddlecombe will shortly be coming out with a new edition of his eBay handles list. Email him for a copy. Here's the thread on that...

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3201.0

As to the fingerwheel on this phone, it's the correct one, as Dennis said. Originally they had color-matching masks that inserted over the number card in the center of the fingerwheel. Little red paper circles with a window cut out, and there were several to choose from, depending on the size of your phone number. That gave it more of a finished look. They're often missing, but I've seen them included sometimes with NOS color 302s.

This one looks great, and with no cracks, it could go high. But don't let that stop you from bidding your max as close to the end as you can. Let the chips fall where they may. Sometimes you end up with a bargain. Though lately the bargains have been few, I'll admit. If I had $1 for every time I came in second on an auction, I could probably buy this phone. :)
Jonathan

KeithB

Let's just say I have the worlds largest collection of unfinished projects at home. (I'm certain we all do  ::) )  I can't justify bidding on another phone until the one I'm working on now is spit-polished and shined and sitting pretty on the wife's secretary.  ;D

FYI, it's been pushed up to $102.50.  Someone was just too impatient to wait another few days.  Here's my other restriction with this particular hobby, I've resolved not to spend too much on any one item, period.  $100 is well above my definition of "too much", so this one can sweeten someone else's collection.

McHeath

I hear you about price.  This model in this color is always expensive, unless you luck out at a yard sale or a clueless seller on e-bay who puts an absurdly low buy it now price on it.  And if you really want to spend money on a 302 look at what the blue ones go for! :o

KeithB

Well, I'm glad to see the seller got plenty for it, it was a beautiful example in great condition.

Doug Rose

This seller made this a real tough auction for himself. One bad angled picture with three added after the auction started. I would find it very hard to bid over $300 for a phone, with a very limited view of what I was buying. Seller hurt himself on this and another auction with very poor picture selection. eBay gives you 12 supersize pictures for free. Use them. Whoever purchased this, sure had a huge amount of trust.....Doug
Kidphone