News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

357 in situ

Started by McHeath, September 20, 2008, 12:41:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

Got inspired by Mark's great post today on the blog showing his desk in his house in 1965 and today.  If you have not seen the post go check it out, it's got his dad and some good time period details.  Sadly the white 554 originally above his desk is gone, but he got a fab 354 from Dennis in it's place. 

We installed our 357 in our kitchen, the house was built in 1966 but the phone looks nice, we think, even though it's really better suited to an older house. 

BDM

Is that a radio/intercom combo system I see mounted in the wall?
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Mark Stevens

Quote from: BDM on September 20, 2008, 03:06:51 AM
Is that a radio/intercom combo system I see mounted in the wall?

No silly, that's a built-in Radar Range!!  ;D
The phone looks great in that house!  I'm particularly impressed with how nice-looking a 354 is with a G1 handset. It looks like it was made for it, much more so than the F1.  Nice!

McHeath

Thanks for the compliment, we really are enjoying it.  The G3 handset really seems to be a match for the phone eh?  It's lines catch the lines of the housing quite well, until I did research I did not even know it was the wrong handset because it just fits the style so well. 

That high tech gizmo in the wall next to the phone is a Nu-Tone "Transistor Radio Intercom" system model 2561-62.  It's original to the house and each room has a monitor/speaker unit which you can see on the wall in the dining room in one of the pictures.  The system works well and we still use it, handy for calling the kiddo to dinner and such.  According to the paperwork we have for it, the price for the master unit was $185.20 and each room speaker unit was $16.75, so pretty pricey for the day.  (1966) When the doorbell rings it pipes the sound through all the speakers, which is handy, and we can pipe music from our modern stereo into the system through a jack in the base of the unit.  (You can see the wire going into it)

Mark Stevens

Quote from: McHeath on September 20, 2008, 12:44:51 PM
That high tech gizmo in the wall next to the phone is a Nu-Tone "Transistor Radio Intercom" system model 2561-62.  It's original to the house and each room has a monitor/speaker unit which you can see on the wall in the dining room in one of the pictures.  The system works well and we still use it, handy for calling the kiddo to dinner and such.  According to the paperwork we have for it, the price for the master unit was $185.20 and each room speaker unit was $16.75, so pretty pricey for the day.  (1966) When the doorbell rings it pipes the sound through all the speakers, which is handy, and we can pipe music from our modern stereo into the system through a jack in the base of the unit.  (You can see the wire going into it)

Wow, a Nu-Tone! We have a large round heater on the ceiling of one of our bathrooms (came with the house), and it's a Nu-Tone. I wonder what else they made?

BDM

Thought so. My grand parents(mothers side), had a similar setup. I know it was built into the home, when the home was built in 1963.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Doug Houston

My earliest recollection of Nut-One is that they were a big name in door chimes, back into the thirties. After the war, they branched out into these built-in radios, and range hoods, as well as door chimes.

McHeath

They are still around, making range hoods and bathroom vents and even household intercoms as well.  Still pretty pricey the intercoms.  Did not know that they had that much history to them, going back pre-war.

Mark Stevens

Quote from: Doug Houston on September 29, 2008, 12:33:49 AM
My earliest recollection of Nut-One is that they were a big name in door chimes, back into the thirties. After the war, they branched out into these built-in radios, and range hoods, as well as door chimes.

I'm with Heath, I had no idea that they went back that far...or were still in business today! I wonder if anyone collects their stuff? This may warrant further investigation...I could have a collectible heater in my bathroom!!!  ;D