"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Problems with ringer on Automatic Electric 80 Monophone

Started by Todd W. White, March 24, 2018, 05:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd W. White

Hello!

I have an Automatic Electric Monophone R50C that works really except.it won't ring. The striker tries to move, but doesn't have enough strength to reach the bells.

How can I fix it?

Thanks for your help!

AE_Collector

Actually it's an AE model 80. I'm fairly certain it has a frequency Ringer in it as I don't see a wheel to adjust the Ringer volume.malso, the 50 in the R50C almost certainly indicates it originally had a 50 cycle party line Ringer.

Need pictures of the Ringer inside. If it's trying, it is connected properly but you're not going to ge5 much action out of a 50 cycle Ringer. Little can be done unless you swap out the Ringer.

Looks like a nice old one from April 1960. What colour is it....beige? The 10 on the end of the first code is for "Sand Beige".

Welcome to the rotary forum!

Terry

Todd W. White

Hello and thank you for the quick reply!

Yes, it is beige.

I guess I will put an external ringer on it, that way I can hear it ring.

Thanks again for the kindness, and for your help!

AE_Collector

Well, I'm not 100% certain, only 95%. A picture of the Ringer will quickly confirm it. Ringers were frequently replaced as party lines were rearranged. An external Ringer or just being able to hear another phone on the same line ring is a good solution. Many hunt out a Straight Line Ringer to replace the party line ringer which is okay but I always ask collectors to at least consider that it isn't "broken" when it won't ring because of a frequency Ringer. This is a part of Telephone history. If the phone is coded as having a 50 cycle Ringer and that is what is still in it....it sort of seems a shame to "rip it out" ... to me at least.

Just my opinion.
Terry

compubit

And if you connect it to an ATA that support both pulse dialing and adjustable frequency ringing, then that's a plus!

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

AE_Collector

Analog Terminal Adapter..the thing that produces the phone line from cable or internet service. All but plain old Telco phone service use an ATA of some sort.

Terry

Todd W. White

Thanks.

I have standard telco service.

All it appears that I need is an external ringer

Todd W. White

Well, I located my 300 series Western Electric wall mount phone that has a good ringer in it and hooked it up. The ringer works great, as does the Automatic Electric phone. However, I think I may have inadvertently hooked up the wall phone slightly improperly. The dial mechanism works perfectly, in fact it's brand new, but it doesn't dial a number. All I get is a sound as though I left the phone off the hook. Does anyone have a wiring diagram or a picture to show me where to hook the wires properly?

poplar1

Quote from: Todd W. White on April 16, 2018, 11:37:12 PM
Well, I located my 300 series Western Electric wall mount phone that has a good ringer in it and hooked it up. The ringer works great, as does the Automatic Electric phone. However, I think I may have inadvertently hooked up the wall phone slightly improperly. The dial mechanism works perfectly, in fact it's brand new, but it doesn't dial a number. All I get is a sound as though I left the phone off the hook. Does anyone have a wiring diagram or a picture to show me where to hook the wires properly?

Did you connect the line cord to L1 and L2 on the block in upper right corner?
There should not be anything connected to the M terminal on the 101B induction coil.

If you go to the home page, click on wiring diagrams, then scroll down to WE 300 series diagrams, then choose WE 354.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Todd W. White

I checked the wiring and everything was fine. I called the phone company, and they came out and found a problem with their side of the line. All fixed now. Thanks!