News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

VOIP and caller ID timestamp

Started by Babybearjs, September 22, 2017, 03:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

throwing this out to you all.... I have CableOne VOIP phone service. for some reason the time stamp on all my CID units is out of kilter... the time is off by 7 hours.... does anyone know how to fix this. I noticed it on one of my units thinking the logic chip could be bad, but when I noticed it on another unit that I had reset, I started to wonder. is the signal coming from CableOne directly or is it the cable modem? I've never had this problem before and I'm not sure what to do....
John

HarrySmith

I do not have VOIP but it makes sense that the signal would come from the provider. I would give tham a call and ask.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

unbeldi

Is it off exactly 07:00:00 ?

Caller*ID signals are generated in the embedded MTA of the cable modem.  Some providers may set the time of the cable modem to UTC, to keep uniform telemetry time stamps across their service area, not having to deal with the timezones and summer time. It is possible that the eMTA has a setting for the timezone of the FSK signal sent to the subscriber equipment, but that may not be accessible to subscribers.  Some caller*ID displays also have settings for timezone.

Babybearjs

My modem has a time server option which was checked, I cleared the 3 entries and unchecked the option. I was able to manually set the time, so I did. its weird, I've never had this problem before.
John

Jim Stettler

I was writing this as you posted.
-------------------------------------
I had the same problem on  a wireless phone. I waited 3 days and it wouldn't reset the time .  I unplugged the transformer and phone line, waited a few minutes reconnected them and called the phone from my cell. That  reset the clock on the unit.
My problem was probably  caused by lightning close by.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The time error was consistent which gave me the impression that the phone kept track of the time and the incoming CID data had  a " time sync" signal. By unplugging it , the electronics bled down  and , after it got the sync signal it started operating properly again.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In your  case I would unplug the modem for awhile, reconnect it and call yourself.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Since you were able to manually set your time, your units probably track time internally with the  60 cycle (AC) signal or a crystal, If they are battery only then they probably crystal.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Babybearjs

well, what I did tonight was to reset the modem to the factory defaults. Once I did, I noticed that the option for the time servers was unchecked... so I left it alone. I was afraid that one of my CID units had been dropped too many times and was bad, but when 2 or more were off... I had to check my system. now it seems like everything is OK... thank you for all the help!
John