News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

500 CONV

Started by HarrySmith, November 28, 2018, 06:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I just came across an old 500 on eBay. Black phone with White dial and cut off cords. The first thing I always look at is the bottom, for the date. This one, where the date should be, is stamped "CONV"
I have not seen this before. What does it mean?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173665347653
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Short for some type of conversion? That's my guess.
KEN

poplar1

CONV=Conversion

In other words, it used to be a different model before it was a 500D...such as 500K, 500T, etc.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RotarDad

Poplar1 is correct - most often the CONV stamp was used when a 500 with an early 425A network was upgraded to the equalizer-integrated 425B network.  Model 500 T (later coded J/K) seems to be the most commonly found model that was converted, from what I've run across.  These models did not have a separate equalizer and were originally used for installs that were a long distance from the central office where equalizers weren't needed.  When they arrived back at the refurb center, it appears that standard policy was to swap the net for a 425B to ensure the phone would function like all the "new" models with equalization, and stamp the base "CONV".  The T/J/K has a small terminal board for handset connections, instead of an equalizer, held by 2 rivets near the handset cord hole.  Many converted phones still have the now-useless terminal board, while others show the distended holes where the rivets were punched out during refurb.   It's always nice to find an early unmolested 500 - probably most were lost to the refurb process....
Paul

paul-f

There's more on this topic on my site at:
   http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm#Date

and in the series of articles on the history of the WE 500 series published in TCI's Singing Wires in issues from January thru August, 2009.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Key2871

It sure is nice to have knowledge of you guys. I never went back that far in my researches on older sets.
Thanks guys
KEN

RotarDad

Thanks Paul - your site is extremely helpful with sorting the models and variations like this.  I refer to it often - many times relearning what I've forgotten.....

Ken - I focus on 500 sets almost entirely, and I still like the black ones best...  My knowledge level is surpassed my many others here, and drops dramatically once outside the 500 realm.....  :)
Paul

Key2871

Well back when I was actively collecting, that's all I could find around my parts of the woods, so that's what I focused on as well. All colors I could find. But I never saw that sort of marking before, not even in manuals. But my manuals were limited to the 70's sets. But even looking around Paul's site I never saw those, but again I wasn't looking.
KEN

RotarDad

Often what's in front of you grabs your attention and provides the learning opportunity.  The second phone I bought when I started collecting was a "CONV" version, which started my interest in these refurbished sets.  I bought it because it was inexpensive and in really nice shape.  Then I learned it was a '59 refurb of a '51 500T. 
Paul

poplar1

Perhaps the two most common CONVersions are the 5302G and the 151-AL. These models were never manufactured new, only assembled as conversions of older models.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.