News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1500D 10-button key pad problem - loose oscillator coil cover fix

Started by Tim Mc, June 13, 2014, 11:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Mc

I received my 1500D yesterday and hooked it up to the house line to test.  The DTMF tones sounded off and would not break dial tone.  I removed the shell and the keypad's clear thin plastic dust cover, and burnished any contacts I could reach with a piece of paper index card.  I still had the weird tone problem, so I removed the bottom half of the dust cover.  One of the round ferrite pot covers (oscillator coil?) with its center coil was loose and dropped out.  I tinkered with it and found that I could change the tone by rotating the coil cover while holding it firmly in place.  I experimented until the tones sounded right and could break dial tone.  A dab of CA adhesive (super glue) and it's now in working order. 

Anyone that has a 1500 key pad experiencing weird tones may want to see if the coil covers are loose.  Hopefully this will save a key pad or two from the trash bin in the future.

paul-f

Well done, Tim!

The fix will work for any similar Western Electric touch tone dial, including 25-type, 35-type and 66-type, among others.

If the position doesn't end up perfect, the tuning slug in the coil may need to be moved a bit.  Since most of us don't have the tool designed for the purpose, a small dowel with one end whittled to fit the tuning slug will work.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

ESalter

Paul-F said it.  The hardest part of that procedure is finding/making something triangular to use as a tuning tool.  I've only had a couple really bad dials that needed to be retuned, but both were able to be returned to working order.

---Eric

Tim Mc

Thanks!  The keys are looking a little worn.  Is it worth the risk to disassemble the key pad to clean up or replace the keys? 

paul-f

Are the keys worn or simply oxidized?  I've had good luck cleaning them with a cotton cloth and rubbing compound, then finishing with Novus or other polish.

The letters and numbers are double injection molded, so you can rub away and not worry about them.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Tim Mc

They look oxidized and already look better after a first round of Q-tips and rubbing compound last night.  I was worried about the lettering, so it's good news that they're double-injected.   I may hit them with 1000 and 2000 grit sandpaper and polish out with Novus.  I'll definitely try the electric toothbrush idea too.

Thanks again...love this forum!

Dave F

The triangular-tipped tool for adjusting the coils on a touchtone dial is KS19355-L3.  These were used in-house at phone refurbishing centers and were generally not distributed to field personnel, making them fairly rare to find today.

DF