News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1973 Sharp ELSI 804 Calculator

Started by ....., March 14, 2017, 03:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Picked up this 1973 Sharp ELSI 804 Calculator for a $1.00 at the ReStore. It works great. Give it a good cleaning, now it looks good as new. Some before and after pictures. The power cord on it is almost 8' long. It would look good on a older desk setup with a 70's 500 phone beside it.

twocvbloke

Odd that they put the Equals on both the Add and Subtract buttons, but I guess the design for that never hung around for long given that calculators since then have had the three functions separated... :)

Jim Stettler

Quote from: twocvbloke on March 14, 2017, 12:29:55 PM
Odd that they put the Equals on both the Add and Subtract buttons, but I guess the design for that never hung around for long given that calculators since then have had the three functions separated... :)
It may be for reverse Polish notation.
I am a bit rusty on reverse polish, ISTR it compares like this:
5-3=2 Standard notation
5+3-=2 Reverse Polish Notation
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

rdelius

RPN calculators have no = key and an enter key .have used an HP35 for about 40 years

Jim Stettler

Quote from: rdelius on March 14, 2017, 09:47:50 PM
RPN calculators have no = key and an enter key .have used an HP35 for about 40 years
I may not remember how RPN works, but I can "figure it out/re-remember it" when needed.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

I found the same one on eBay. All I can say is "WOW" and I thought that selling mine for $20.00 CDN was to much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sharp-ELSI-804-Calculator-Works-Ships-Worldwide/152473492182
( dead link 02-09-22 )