Can I carry a 2500 set on airplane?

Started by WesternElectricBen, June 08, 2013, 07:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: TelePlay on June 09, 2013, 12:22:29 PM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on June 09, 2013, 11:21:24 AM
Quote from: TelePlay on June 08, 2013, 11:46:09 PM
Even a dime would work . . .

Humf, that didnt work... I tried a total of 5 different things.

Ben

I doubt the TSA will give you anything other than grief.

I really don't have any 2500s except one made in China and it has a Phillips and slotted screw combination and a dime is too thick for that screw. A dime works on 302s and TP-6-As (didn't pull out a rotary 500 but I think those are the same screws).

You could take a throw away screw driver with you and leave that with the TSA if they want it after you take the phone apart and put it back together.

Or do as Terry suggested and have the screws out before screening and loose during the whole trip.

I will try to find one.

WesternElectricBen

Ok, everyone! I got it apart ready for the TSA. If it turns out good I will say so.

Thanks for your tips.
Ben

G-Man

Teleplay Wrote:

AMEN To That!!

And as Terry and Teleplay replied, simply remove the screws prior to showing up at the airport. If necessary, use rubber bands or painters tape to keep it together.

Just hope we don't see you on the news!!

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: G-Man on June 09, 2013, 03:26:33 PM
Teleplay Wrote:

AMEN To That!!

And as Terry and Teleplay replied, simply remove the screws prior to showing up at the airport. If necessary, use rubber bands or painters tape to keep it together.

Just hope we don't see you on the news!!

The phone is in original box but I got screws removed. Now the problem is getting their on time... We are taking aggressive east coast driving to a new level...
Ben

Jim Stettler

I was told by Denver DIA that any box or suitcase with an old phone will get searched. Apparently they look like they could be a bomb when veiwed thru an xray machine, and the machine automaticcally flags them..
As a curtesy, I advise the xray operator that there is old phones, that way they don't freak out too much when  it comes up on xray. They still check them tho.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan/Panther

Quote from: TelePlay on June 08, 2013, 08:02:29 PM
I would think not straight through without further hands on inspection. The x-ray image of a phone, from any angle will show the wiring, gongs, battery like coils for the ringer, relays, the network as a square block, etc. Could be construed as a chunk of bad stuff and two batteries. While it's not, I doubt the TSA people see them often enough, if at all, to let it pass without you taking the phone apart to show them it's just a phone, one with a tail some of those TSA people may never have seen in their lives, much less used. Once you show them the insides and take the caps off of the handset, it should be okay. But, don't know. Never tried that. You should get it through but will take longer with disassembly and reassembly.

My gut on this is even if the TSA, opened the phone, they would have no way to determine if the coils were indeed batteries, and that the network was not full of C4, I would ship it. I'm about 99% sure they will not let you take it on board. Their mentality, would be, what if someone dialed it, that had a cell phone to detonate it. They wouldn't have a clue that's not possible. TSA people are not the sharpest ones going.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

K1WI

I agree with Dan/Panther , your best bet is to either put it in checked luggage or UPS /FedEx it home.   I have lots , and believe me LOTS of experience with air port security issues. After retiring from Ma Bell with 35 years , my next career was a flight attendant on commuter aircraft. Used to search out phones etc. at flea markets and antique shops on layovers and carried many strange "goodies" on board. Even  as "crew" I would get challenged occasionally . When I did get questioned I ALWAYS went to the most senior looking security rep , as they seemed to have more common sense and knowledge. Many of the younger generation don't even have a clue what a corded phone is !
   But also be advised that not all airport screeners are TSA  employees , some are contract workers !  And the "standards" can vary from airport to airport.  An example SFO and CVG very often require ALL electronics to be in a separate bin for screening , and others allow you to keep them (except for laptops) in your carry on bags.

GOOD LUCK
    Andy F     K1WI
PS ...Miles flown is measured in millions !
Andy F    K1WI

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Jim S. on June 10, 2013, 01:39:48 PM
I was told by Denver DIA that any box or suitcase with an old phone will get searched. Apparently they look like they could be a bomb when veiwed thru an xray machine, and the machine automaticcally flags them..
As a curtesy, I advise the xray operator that there is old phones, that way they don't freak out too much when  it comes up on xray. They still check them tho.
Jim

I got through just fine... Though they did keep zooming in and out on it.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Dan/Panther on June 10, 2013, 02:04:34 PM
Quote from: TelePlay on June 08, 2013, 08:02:29 PM
I would think not straight through without further hands on inspection. The x-ray image of a phone, from any angle will show the wiring, gongs, battery like coils for the ringer, relays, the network as a square block, etc. Could be construed as a chunk of bad stuff and two batteries. While it's not, I doubt the TSA people see them often enough, if at all, to let it pass without you taking the phone apart to show them it's just a phone, one with a tail some of those TSA people may never have seen in their lives, much less used. Once you show them the insides and take the caps off of the handset, it should be okay. But, don't know. Never tried that. You should get it through but will take longer with disassembly and reassembly.

My gut on this is even if the TSA, opened the phone, they would have no way to determine if the coils were indeed batteries, and that the network was not full of C4, I would ship it. I'm about 99% sure they will not let you take it on board. Their mentality, would be, what if someone dialed it, that had a cell phone to detonate it. They wouldn't have a clue that's not possible. TSA people are not the sharpest ones going.
D/P

I got through just fine, no searches, though they kept zooming in and out on it.
Ben

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: K1WI on June 10, 2013, 02:21:53 PM
    I agree with Dan/Panther , your best bet is to either put it in checked luggage or UPS /FedEx it home.   I have lots , and believe me LOTS of experience with air port security issues. After retiring from Ma Bell with 35 years , my next career was a flight attendant on commuter aircraft. Used to search out phones etc. at flea markets and antique shops on layovers and carried many strange "goodies" on board. Even  as "crew" I would get challenged occasionally . When I did get questioned I ALWAYS went to the most senior looking security rep , as they seemed to have more common sense and knowledge. Many of the younger generation don't even have a clue what a corded phone is !
   But also be advised that not all airport screeners are TSA  employees , some are contract workers !  And the "standards" can vary from airport to airport.  An example SFO and CVG very often require ALL electronics to be in a separate bin for screening , and others allow you to keep them (except for laptops) in your carry on bags.

GOOD LUCK
    Andy F     K1WI
PS ...Miles flown is measured in millions !

Lucky for me I got through just fine. And I do agree some of my friends havnt' seen a rotary dial until they saw my phones...
Ben

TelePlay

Quote from: Dan/Panther on June 10, 2013, 02:04:34 PMMy gut on this is even if the TSA, opened the phone, they would have no way to determine if the coils were indeed batteries, and that the network was not full of C4,  . . .  TSA people are not the sharpest ones going.

I was assuming some lack of knowledge by TSA X-ray folks with old phones would be the problem but never thought about verification of questionable parts. Seems I was giving the TSA folks more credit than I should have. However, it seems Ben got one of the sharper needles in the cushion, which was good for him. Were they using a variable power (penetration) X-ray machine and if so, do you think the time spent examining the phone may have done damage to it (for example, was blue when boxed but was found to be orange on arrival  :D)?

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: TelePlay on June 10, 2013, 07:36:18 PM
Quote from: Dan/Panther on June 10, 2013, 02:04:34 PMMy gut on this is even if the TSA, opened the phone, they would have no way to determine if the coils were indeed batteries, and that the network was not full of C4,  . . .  TSA people are not the sharpest ones going.

I was assuming some lack of knowledge by TSA X-ray folks with old phones would be the problem but never thought about verification of questionable parts. Seems I was giving the TSA folks more credit than I should have. However, it seems Ben got one of the sharper needles in the cushion, which was good for him. Were they using a variable power (penetration) X-ray machine and if so, do you think the time spent examining the phone may have done damage to it (for example, was blue when boxed but was found to be orange on arrival  :D)?

lol, No, its still green. I think if it was a phone collector they would just say, nope, and take it to their house and display it?

Dan/Panther

I have an idea, Someone take a dial phone to the airport, put it in the basket, and as the conveyor starts to move, run up and grab the phone, and yell real loud, say; " You can't X-Ray that".
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Russ Kirk

Many years ago before 9/11 I picked up an Ericsson AB2100 (?) in an antique store.  I placed the boxed phone in the x-ray machine and waited for the TSA agents.  Well,  they asked very coyly what this was because their x-ray machine could not see inside.   I stated it was an antique hand crank telephone.  As I expected, they asked to see it and after a few minutes they allowed me to pass through.

I doubt they would allow it today.   
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Russ Kirk on June 11, 2013, 03:56:58 PM
Many years ago before 9/11 I picked up an Ericsson AB2100 (?) in an antique store.  I placed the boxed phone in the x-ray machine and waited for the TSA agents.  Well,  they asked very coyly what this was because their x-ray machine could not see inside.   I stated it was an antique hand crank telephone.  As I expected, they asked to see it and after a few minutes they allowed me to pass through.

I doubt they would allow it today.   

I agree with you too, just that its so big.