"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I found this WE Wood phone at an antique show

Started by MagicMo, January 12, 2013, 08:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicMo

Hello,
I saw this phone today and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it? I think it had a price tag of $125.
Thanks,
Maureen
Practice Kindness :)

DavePEI

Quote from: MagicMo on January 12, 2013, 08:43:32 PM
Hello,
I saw this phone today and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it? I think it had a price tag of $125.
Thanks,
Maureen
Hi Maureen:

It is an early WE 317 magneto set, made about 1910 - you can tell the age by the transmitter arm. If all is intact inside, it is a reasonable amount for it, but you can occasionally find a good one for a bit less. Maureen is becoming a collector - congratulations, Mo! It is contagious! I am pleased to see this happening!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

MagicMo

poplar1

The 1317 was introduced in 1907 with a fancier case and long transmitter arm. The shorter arm was later and used until the 1940s.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Sargeguy

I think this is later than 1910.  Looks a little fishy with the coiled cord and the weird decal.  The decal is later than the phone, and is not the type used on phones.  Actually, it looks like someone cut it out from an ad in a brochure or magazine and pasted it on the phone. The hook should be nickel (or the phone should be painted black).  Someone brassed out the bells and the faceplate.  The lip on the writing shelf looks odd.  This is probably someone's restoration project.  It is the most boring version of this phone anyway.  If I were going to spend $125 on a 317 it would not be on this phone.  Earliar walnut versions with fancier details can be had.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

I never saw one of these painted black, though WE did paint used oak subsets rather than refinish them. The 1317 was manufactured with nickel plated parts in the early years and black painted parts later on.

No phone phone parts made in US were ever originally brassed out--they were either nickel plated, painted, or chrome plated.

DavePEI

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 12, 2013, 10:14:37 PM
I think this is later than 1910.  Looks a little fishy with the coiled cord and the weird decal.  The decal is later than the phone, and is not the type used on phones.  Actually, it looks like someone cut it out from an ad in a brochure or magazine and pasted it on the phone. The hook should be nickel (or the phone should be painted black).  Someone brassed out the bells and the faceplate.  The lip on the writing shelf looks odd.  This is probably someone's restoration project.  It is the most boring version of this phone anyway.  If I were going to spend $125 on a 317 it would not be on this phone.  Earliar walnut versions with fancier details can be had.
There used to be a good article on the ATCA site about these, but I don't see it anymore.  The cord, of course is a replacement, and the sticker, of course has been added. Yes, the brass has been brassed out. But it is still a good example if the original parts are on the inside. It is the deep slope version of the shelf. which matches the use of the short transmitter arm. Earlier long arms would have the high shallow slope shelf. I have identical shelves on two of my 317s - both on the short transmitter arm ones.

These are just as collectable as the early picture frame front ones. The main thing is that they have all their interior components. If you open the door, at the bottom, a full schematic of the phone (including model number) should be pasted on it.

The lower portion of the case is for the batteries, and the upper portion will contain the magneto, induction coil, capacitor (when so equipped), hookswitch, etc.

What is the difference between the 317 and 1317? From what I have seen, the 1317s have the selective ring pushbutton mounted on the left, and 317s don't. Otherwise, they are identical. This is from observation only and I can't back it up with documentation.

The ad below is for the Northern Electric version of this phone; below catalog listings from NE, then a page out of the 1917 WE yearbook (Note the WE sticker, shiny bells and transmitter face on this catalog listing). Finally the guarantee I found tucked inside one of my NE 1317s (I have 2 NEs and one WE). Of these, one is a long arm with shallow slope shelf (the earlier WE 317) - the other two are short arm with deep slope shelves.:

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

poplar1

http://www.bobsoldphones.net/Pages/WE317/WE317.htm

Above is a link to one article about WE 1317s:

1907 Cathedral Top, Picture Frame Front, Long Transmitter Arm ["Queen Bee"]
1909 Plain Top, Picture Frame Front, Long Transmitter Arm
1911 Plain Front, Long Transmitter Arm
1916 Short Transmitter Arm as pictured in this topic
1938 Short Transmitter Arm and Bulldog Transmitter

MagicMo

Thanks for all the info. I love learning about old phones and it's especially great to learn about phones I see in person. Thanks for letting me share the pics. Where would I be without my iphone camera?
It's great to know I can snap a pic and "see what my buddies online think."
Thanks Again!
Mo

Sargeguy

Do we have pics of the interior?  One way to tell if the phone is all there (or close to it) is to crank it and listen for the ring.  If it rings, I would offer him $75 and settle for $100.  $125 would be okay, if it rings and you really like the phone: the sum of the parts would worth close to that, and you save on shipping.  These phones frequently go for around $75 on eBay, however, less if they are missing parts.  The cathedral top, picture frame, and other long arm phones were made for shorter periods and are a little fancier looking, which I think makes them more collectible.  I have seen a few painted OD or gray, but I don't recall black, although I would not be surprised.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

317 + transmitter + receiver=1317

20-AL + transmitter + receiver + cords=1020-AL

B-1 Hand Set Mounting + E1B Handset + cords=B1A (no dial), B1B (with dial), 102 or 202

D-1 Hand Set Mounting + E-type handset + cords=102 or 202

H-1 Telephone Set Mounting + F1A handset + cords=302

Sargeguy

QuoteI have seen a few painted OD or gray, but I don't recall black, although I would not be surprised.

Actually, I was a little surprised

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330864869238
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

DavePEI

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 28, 2013, 05:46:10 PM
Actually, I was a little surprised
Still 6 days to go - also wrong cordage. Black is less common, but they do exist. I notice the condenser isn't in the normal location. From the look of the interior of the phone, I would suspect it has been painted at some time, and started out life with the usual oak finish.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Sargeguy

It looks like these have been going for more than I thought lately, with $125 being the going rate. $100 will by you one with missing parts while $150 seems too high ( although one sold for $400!!!)  It seems these are gaining in popularity, in contrast to the rest of the phone market, and prices are up for flat-fronted 317s.  This particular gem is now mine for the princely sum of $76.00
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409