News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg Carlson wood telephone

Started by mienaichizu, February 25, 2013, 10:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mienaichizu

I am planning to buy this Stromberg Carlson wood telephone. Estimated cost in USD is $85.00 including local shipping.

What can you say about this? Any idea what year is this? Is this really that collectible?

Sargeguy

Anything is collectible if you like it.  Those handset wooden phones aren't especially popular with most collectors, however.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

mienaichizu

I might go with it since wood telephones are very rarely seen on the Philippine antiques market. Actually this is the 2nd one I have seen throughout my collecting years

DavePEI

Quote from: Sargeguy on February 26, 2013, 06:58:47 AM
Anything is collectible if you like it.  Those handset wooden phones aren't especially popular with most collectors, however.
If that is the case, then a lot of people are counting themselves out of the last generation of wooden phones. In order to represent all, one needs to also collect handset phones. If I didn't collect them in the museum, for example, I would completely miss phones which were used in great numbers in the Maritimes rural exchanges in the late 40s and early 50s. In areas where the exchanges were automatic then, you wouldn't have seen these to any extent.

In the case of Northern Electric, there were mod kits made available to transform your separate transmitter/receiver set to a handset - the idea being that subscribers would be happy with a more modern appearing phone. 1317s were converted through the use of an MD-2127 kit supplied by Northern Electric, making them quite unusual. Later 1315s came from the factory with a handset. Both are relatively scarce.

Because they are less common than the separate transmitter/receiver phones, they should actually be more collectable. One collects what matters to them.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Sargeguy

Quote from: mienaichizu on February 26, 2013, 07:56:01 AM
I might go with it since wood telephones are very rarely seen on the Philippine antiques market. Actually this is the 2nd one I have seen throughout my collecting years

An unpopular wooden phone is better than no wooden phone!

Putting aside the historical significance of this type of phone to answer mienaichizu's question, they do not generate a lot of interest amiong collector's when they show up for sale, most collectors seek out the type with the seperate handset and transmitter.  Also, Stromberg-Carlson wall phones of any type seem to be more common than other manufacturers, which keeps the price lower.  But then again, there probably aren't that many WE 3-boxers kicking around Luzon, so by that measure it is more collectable than it would bbe here in the US, especially if your interest is in Fillipino telephones.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

dsk

This shows how different it is from place to place, All my old telephones has handset, my oldest phone is an "Eiffel tower" from 1898, my two oldest wooden phones are from 1905.

If you want it go for it, maybe you even may know some of its history.

dsk

davidbholcomb

Quote from: mienaichizu on February 25, 2013, 10:35:58 PM
I am planning to buy this Stromberg Carlson wood telephone. Estimated cost in USD is $85.00 including local shipping.

What can you say about this? Any idea what year is this? Is this really that collectible?

Hi Mienaichizu,
I would love to see the inside of this phone and to take a look at the handset. It might tell more of the story. Looking at your pictures it looks like it might have had a shelf on the front at one time. I could find nothing like it in my 1927 Stromberg Carlson Catalog. However Oldphoneworks.com has a similar one for sale. CLICK HERE  It is a Kellogg telephone.

I just love these old wood telephones. I have several and my favorites are my AE14 Monophone and my Kellogg 5816 Masterphone. I am in the process of using them in my very own system.

"Is this really that collectible?" It is to you if you really like it. There are several rules of collecting out there. One is collect to make money and lose your shirt, collect what you truly love and make money.

If the price reflects the fact that nobody wants it and I do, all the better!
Dave, who still needs a Transmitter Bracket for the Automatic Electric Type 38 Handset.

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

mienaichizu

thanks everyone on your comments, I bought the phone and waiting for it to be delivered on my doorsteps.

mienaichizu

The phone arrived earlier than expected. The packaging was great, itwas packed with multiple layers of bubble wrap to prevent it from damage during delivery. I will post more pictures later

mienaichizu

More photos