News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Fiddleback - Dean or Stromberg

Started by wds, April 04, 2013, 07:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Picked up this beautiful fiddlleback.  All the nickel plating is good, wood is perfect.  I saw another one exactly like this one, and it was marked Dean Electric.  I'm guessing this is either a Dean or a Stromberg.  Any ideas?
Dave

Russ Kirk

Either way it is fine addition to anyone's collection. I love it!!!!
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

rdelius

Not a SC.Ringer is Kellogg but not a Kellogg box. Deans sometime are marked on the trans cup. Dean was later Garford.Nice looking set.Dean Receivers were uasually metal

wds

I'll pull the transmitter apart tonight.  And I have a couple extra metal dean receivers - I had planned on switching it out.  Current receiver is not marked.  I have a couple more just like it - wish I knew who made it.
Dave

poplar1

I have only one Dean. It is a fiddleback but has an oval transmitter mount.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

wds

I've seen two other pictures of the Dean Fiddleback, like mine, and both of them have the oval mount.  Wonder why mine is different.
Dave

HowardPgh

Very nice fiddleback. Looks like a Western Electric transmitter arm on it.
Howard

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

Couple more pictures.  The transmitter arm seems to be original - no extra holes in the wood.  The transmitter is not Stromberg, and very similar to my other Deans, but not a perfect match.  Also uses 3 screws to mount to the cup, not the usual 4.
Dave

Mr. Bones

It's probably a goofy, newbie question, but what angle from the vertical is the writing surface placed at? Just doing some brainstorming, if you happen to have a speed-square or protractor handy...

Thanks, either way, and enjoy your beautiful wooden phone. Maybe, someday.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

wds

about 105 degrees down from the backboard, or 15 degrees down from a perpendicular line. 
Dave

wds

After looking at the transmitter arm and the wood back, I wonder if the two bolts that have the cut wires weren't the original bolts for the oval arm mount.  The two wires that are cut off don't make any sense as there are no wires connected to the back of those bolts.  The two terminal screws on the sides have wires on the back of the board.  My guess is the oval mount was replaced with this square mount for some reason. 
Dave

Mr. Bones

Quote from: wds on April 05, 2013, 08:21:13 PM
about 105 degrees down from the backboard, or 15 degrees down from a perpendicular line. 
Thanks! My eyeball said 15-max 20° from horizontal, but the 3/4 perspective shots made me doubt my initial assessment!

Got a project cooking, and this input helps, greatly, Sir!

Have a great weekend!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Sargeguy

I don't think that is a Western Electric #10 arm, although it looks very similar.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HowardPgh

In your picture in reply #8 you can see the ghost of the oval mount contained in the rectangular mount's shadow on the wood.
I have a Dean common battery fiddleback buried somewhere.  If I find it I'll post a picture of it.
Howard