News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Should I still use a network on a VOIP system?

Started by shersh, May 15, 2013, 08:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shersh

I am using a 211 with dial as an extension on my Cablevision VOIP system.  The phone does not have a subset or ringer.  The set works well with a dial gizmo, pulse to tone converter taking care of the dialing conversion.  I jumpered the hookswitch to the B terminal effectively bypassing the wires that would have gone to the network and the unit functions well with no audible pulse during dialing.  I do not want a ringer and I would like to know if I should still  add a network?  Does a network still have a viable function when used with a VOIP system or using the set on a system that is not a POTS line negate its necessity?

twocvbloke

You should use a subset (which houses a suitable network) on all phones that require a subset otherwise damage will occur to the phone... :)

Your VOIP adaptor is basically simulating a POTS line, so will be producing the voltages necessary to operate a phone, the network is designed to separate out the AC and DC currents involved in the telephone line (whether it's a POTS, PBX or VOIP setup) and send them to the appropriate components (I.E. DC to the transmitter, AC only to the receiver, and AC ringing voltage & current to the ringer), without that, the receiver can be de-magnetised and will no longer operate adequately... :)