"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ma Bell is a ... Union strike poster

Started by RotaryOne, August 22, 2015, 03:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotaryOne

Hello forum members,

I found this original 1970s union strike poster.
Does anyone have any information or strike stories or have a similar one with another local union number on it?  How popular was this slogan?
Thanks!

Fabius

That local of the Communications Workers of America (CWA) is located in NYC. In 1971 I just got home from my service with the Army and went back to work with New York Telephone. In just a couple of weeks I was out on strike as a member of the CWA.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

RotaryOne

Quote from: Fabius on August 22, 2015, 11:24:13 PM
That local of the Communications Workers of America (CWA) is located in NYC. In 1971 I just got home from my service with the Army and went back to work with New York Telephone. In just a couple of weeks I was out on strike as a member of the CWA.

Did you walk with this sign?  I've been reading that the slogan was also printed on t-shirts.

Fabius

I recognize the saying but really don't remember what the signs said when on picket duty or remember T shirts..
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

dumb_old_guy

That's cool! I am old enough to remember unions and strikes. Brings back memories of when I was a kid and asked my mom why all these people were carrying signs outside of a business of some sort.

cheers
Rob

19and41

I've been to one strike.  I got to drive through the picket line.  It was a metal recycler and I was there to calibrate their scales. They carried long pieces of firewood that would never see fire.  I was thankful the truck ran well that day.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

dumb_old_guy

I was an engineer at a union plant, that made me part of management...but there were no strikes. I just haven't seen any around where I live for decades. (I did belong to the IBEW at one time, but that was long before that engineer job.)

cheers
Rob

Sargeguy

I worked at a plant when the Teamsters went on strike.  I opted not to cross the picket line.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke