News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The one that got away - Awesome Bell System "Aladdin Lamp"

Started by Greg G., May 08, 2012, 12:34:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I normally don't collect telephone related items unless they're really cool, and I really liked this item on Proxibid.  But I couldn't justify spending over $130 plus shipping, not at this time.  It got too rich for me even in the pre-bidding, but I watched the live auction.  Problem with Proxibid is the auctions add an "internet buyers premium" that varies, in this case it was 18%.  It sold for $130, plus the 18% IBP, bringing it to $153.40.  When you factor in the cost of shipping, the total was probably around $175.  I quit when the purchase price plus the IBP was pushing $100.  

Had to have been a phone collector.  Congrats to whom ever it was - anybody here?

http://tinyurl.com/6lzx4lw
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Sargeguy

It's missing its lid!  1904 is fairly early for a Bell System item.  Also. this would appeal to trophy collectors and cigarette lighter collectors as well. Probably would have sold for more on eBay.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

twocvbloke

So, if you rub it, does the genie that pops out give you three free phonecalls? :D

Doug Rose

Quote from: twocvbloke on May 09, 2012, 03:14:56 AM
So, if you rub it, does the genie that pops out give you three free phonecalls? :D
It gives you three free phones you are lusting after....what a lamp.....  Doug 
Kidphone

Greg G.

It must have been a honcho retiring for a fancy thing like that from the Managers way back then.  Who retired in 1904 I wonder?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e