"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is this a Soft Plastic 500? 1958/59

Started by MagicMo, May 14, 2013, 01:41:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicMo

Hi,
Is this a soft plastic phone? The dial has a 1958 date.
Thanks,
Mo
Practice Kindness :)

MagicMo

Oops!
Forgot this one/

WesternElectricBen

Yes, it is! The way I can tell other than the year is how thick the case is rather than hard plastic which generally is thiner..

Ben

TelePlay

Also, it seems all soft plastic phones have only 5 6 holes in the original receiver cap, the center hole is missing. They also smell bad.

WesternElectricBen

Doesn't soft plastic dial rings have only enough cut out space to fit in the fingerstop?
Ben

LarryInMichigan

Mo,

You cleaned up that phone beautifully in a hurry :)  You need to let people see how filthy it was.

As far as I am aware, the switch to ABS plastic happened in mid 1959.  The ABS plastics from late 1959 looked alot like the earlier soft plastic ones with the same number of ribs in the shell, the date stamp in the front, and six holes in the receiver cap.  An easy way to tell if a part is soft plastic is to tap with your finger or on a hard surface.  A soft plastic part will make a softer "thud" than the same part in ABS.  If you look around enough, you might be able to find a WE phone with ABS plastic ;).  Compare the two.  Also, all of the soft plastic handset caps I have seen have date stamps in ink on the insides, but I don't think that the ABS ones have the stamps.  I vote for soft plastic on this one.  Congratulations on a great find.  Now you just need green, red, yellow, white, ivory, pink, light beige, rose beige, light gray, oxford gray, and mahogany ;D

Larry

MagicMo

It was pretty nasty and it even survived shipping......IN A PADDED EVELOPE!!! I couldn't believe it!! I cringed opening it up.
It's beautiful now!
Larry, Oh geez! I'm on a mission now. LOL
Thanks
Mo

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: MagicMo on May 14, 2013, 10:12:31 AM
It was pretty nasty and it even survived shipping......IN A PADDED EVELOPE!!! I couldn't believe it!! I cringed opening it up.
It's beautiful now!
Thanks
Mo

At least the envelope was padded :D.  I should probably amend my standard shipping instructions for phones to specify the use of a box.  The price was good anyway.

I will trade you a red and a green soft plastic 500s for your mediterranean blue :)  I might even throw in a black.

Larry

MagicMo

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on May 14, 2013, 03:37:40 PM
Quote from: MagicMo on May 14, 2013, 10:12:31 AM
It's beautiful now!
Thanks
Mo

At least the envelope was padded :D.  I should probably amend my standard shipping instructions for phones to specify the use of a box.  The price was good anyway.

I will trade you a red and a green soft plastic 500s for your mediterranean blue :)  I might even throw in a black.

Larry

Larry,
It never crossed my mind to tell them to ship it in a box! Had it been thrown, just a little bit, it would have been in pieces. Seriously, who does that?

I have black, green and working on the red and besides my new Med blue made friends with all the other phones in my basement, she's a keeper! I will certainly keep my eyes open for a blue for you.

Thanks!
Mo

AE40FAN

I would give that Seller negative feedback just for shipping it the way they did!  Glad it survived the trip free of damage.

LarryInMichigan

I have received a number of poorly packed items that amazingly arrived undamaged, but even more which arrived the way I would expect with the bad packing.  Opening a box (or padded envelope) containing broken pieces of a formerly valuable antique is a heartbreaking experience.  I am sure glad that this one came out well.

Larry

david@london

mo-
that's an interesting date on the shell. april '59 should be one of the last coloured soft plastic 500 sets. i think the last month was may '59 (apart from black sets which were produced in soft plastic till the mid 60s)

i usually refer to this handy guide for all things 500 -

http://tinyurl.com/d6bpor4 

great job on the clean up btw !

MagicMo

Quote from: david@london on May 14, 2013, 06:30:31 PM
mo-
that's an interesting date on the shell. april '59 should be one of the last coloured soft plastic 500 sets. i think the last month was may '59 (apart from black sets which were produced in soft plastic till the mid 60s)

i usually refer to this handy guide for all things 500 -

http://tinyurl.com/d6bpor4 

great job on the clean up btw !

Hi David,
Thanks for the handy guide! It helped me with my Ebay description.
Mo

Dan/Panther

Mo;
That shipping was a bonafide miracle.
Looks like you got the bug. Now I hope you don't regret getting rid of stuff.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

MagicMo

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 30, 2013, 12:48:31 AM
Mo;
That shipping was a bonafide miracle.
Looks like you got the bug. Now I hope you don't regret getting rid of stuff.
D/P

Unfortunately there is always regret. Every time I don't want to let go I think about who will enjoy it more. I need to make room in my home to live. My kids told me if I don't, they will call the show "Hoarders." I know they were joking but they fear this house will be like grandpas someday. I seriously have no room in my basement and now my upstairs is getting full and Dad's house is still not completely cleaned out.   
So needless to say, regret must take a back seat. 
Thanks!
Mo