News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The Swedish model Norwegian design

Started by dsk, August 13, 2013, 02:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

NB: This thread and the thread: : Norwegian: Elektrisk Bureau 1932-1953 Phones Bakelite versions. http://tinyurl.com/mk4ypt9  are related.
The Swedish model  Norwegian design
This 1920 to 195x made one piece bakelite phone was made with more than this diagram.
This Diagram was the std version made by Ericsson and Elektrisk Bureau of Norway (with different color codes)

dsk

PS
Added picture of the special version used in Trondheim, The handset are probably from another telephone.
DS

dsk

I have a rather rare dial from this kind of phone, The type dial has never worked properly.
dsk

rdelius

The Ericssion dials of that type you can loosen the main gear and advance or retard where the break contacts rest between the gaps in the impulse gear.

dsk

Here are 3 alternative diagrams used in Norway inside the same bakelite housing.
They are quite rare, but The Trondheim version may be seen frome time to time, the other 2 ???
I have never seen them.

dsk

Jack Ryan

Dsk,
As Rdelius mentioned, the pulse cam on your dial rests in the wrong place.

As you probably know, at rest, the pulse contacts should be open. When you begin to dial, the pulse cam moves backwards just enough for the pulse contacts to close. When you release the dial, the pulse cam moves forward to begin the first break and then continues pulsing until it reaches the stop.

If the bursts of AC in your timing diagram indicate a break, it seems that the first break is not only short, it is not completely open (the AC signal is attenuated). Can you adjust the position of the pulse cam and then check for correct operation and cleanliness of the pulse contacts?

Does the off normal contact operate correctly?
What are the details of the dial tester you are using?

Thanks
Jack

Jack Ryan

Dsk,

Does Fig 28 on the circuit page you posted show a BTMC dial?

Thanks
Jack

dsk

The dial in this thread is made by Elektrisk Bureau, Norway, The dials was causing so many problems so E.B. abandoned the production for years, and bought dials from STK (=STC or BTMC)

It is not possible to adjust the timing, and rest positions for the contacts.
The pulse contact had to remain closed in rest position, the other contact was normally open, and closed when moving the dial out of rest position.

dsk

dsk

Matilo Telephones

Similar to the ones I see in Holland, but with one exception. I have never seen a dial like that with 3 wires. Only 4 or 5.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

dsk

Slightly different wiring on the Norwegian Elektrisk Bureau Chematics:

dsk

dsk

Big problems uploading pictures, but here is another version of the 3 wire dial:
I hope I will be avble to uplod these direct to the forum, now I have made up an Google account for this.   :-[
dsk

rdelius

It looks like SC might  have copied elements of this design for their dials

dsk

Trying to post pictures re-sized to max length/with (the greatest side) to 1000PX 45 PX/inch

dsk

unbeldi

I think the diagram shows that the dial is actually not that unusual, despite having only a three-wire dial cord.

If the diagram matches the phone, the dial itself actually has five contacts, two for the dial pulse, and three for a break-make switch.  It just has two jumpers across some contacts, and it is the specific application or wiring in the instrument that only requires three wires. I only uses the off-normal make contact to shunt the entire phone during dialing, which is what the first dials by Western Electric did too, before the 50AL desk stand with the No. 2 dial.

dsk

The 2 dials over are different in the way they make the breaks. The upper has a cam with 10 teeth. the other has a geared moving contact breaker with 2 or 3 breaks pr revolution.

dsk