News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"Unmolested" 1937 302 on eBay - not mine

Started by HarrySmith, January 22, 2020, 03:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Just stumbled acroos an auction for a 302. Seller claims it is an unmolested 1937 model. While it does have some 37 dates I do not think it is "unmolested". What is your opinion?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-1937-Collectible-Western-Electric-OFFICE-PHONE/324050445163
( dead link 05-19-21 )
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

rdelius

I doubt that it has not been left as built. That coiled cloth cord might be later.When was the change to large plungers made?. What about the "date spread" on the markings?

Doug Rose

I don't see a hole for the wood dial spacer that would be in front of the dial. The plungers look like regular set, not the small ones. I think it is a later metal case.  I agree with Robby, the cloth curly is wrong and the dial card is really molested  8). This is a known good seller. Just my humble opinion....Doug
Kidphone

Western Bell

Several conductors have newer plastic coating and crimped on spade lugs. Original spade lugs were soldered on.

HarrySmith

Those are things I saw too.
Not the correct case, big plungers, narrow cradle & no hole for the wooden dial holder. Cloth curly cord not correct. Plastic wires not correct. Orange stamp on dial from 58, no dial gasket, not celluloid number plate. Ringer dated 1940. Anything else?

I am not familiar with the seller, he does have other phones for sale.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

andre_janew

Maybe it is unmolested because the current seller hasn't molested it.

Key2871

Yea it looks as though it came out of the box, in 1937/38
The Curley cord doesn't look original, it's just too nice to be in changed.
KEN

HowardPgh

I would say that the cloth cords are newer, judging by the crimps on the black and green (white) wires going to the dial. the rest of it is probably a mix of parts from near the same era. Otherwise it is a very nice phone.
Howard

poplar1

Description says "new cording." My 7-37 handset has original H3C cord with crimped spade tips. (No markings on the strain relief.)

Large plungers were used as early as 11-37. 

Dial is a 2A to 4H conversion.  Probably converted in 1938.

302 E/G vermilion stamp was done at the WE service center on one of the trips back for remanufacturing.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Babybearjs

looks like one of OPW's Phones. its been restored...
John